Is My PSU the Problem?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Adjudicator, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Adjudicator

Adjudicator Geek Trainee

I just got my new 8600gt and i was checking it out in everest ultimate edition and rivatuner and they both say that the memory clock is running at only 400mhz. The card is supposed to have an 850mhz memory clock. The box says that it needs at least a 350watt psu. Do i need to upgrade it in order to get the memory clock running? am i being a noob? am i missing something? help help?!:doh:

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What PSU (make and model) do you have now?

3. Adjudicator

Adjudicator Geek Trainee

Delta electronics dps-300ab-19 b rev. that's what it says on the side label of the psu

4. Adjudicator

Adjudicator Geek Trainee

Delta electronics dps-300ab-19 b

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, yeah that probably is the problem. It looks like a fine unit for a 300W from the pricing i can see, but ultimately, it's probably not got enough grunt on the +12V rail to properly power your system and have everything run at full speed.

If you can find something like a Corsair VX450, FSP BlueStorm 400-500, or some OCZ unit in the 500W+ range, you should be fine. Pricewise, you're looking at $70-80 USD for a unit that's not a piece of trash. You can go cheaper, but you will probably not find something (sans rebate) cheaper that's going to do the job right or be of decent quality. Some CoolerMaster units, particularly the GreenPower or RealPower lines would be another fairly cheap, yet decent option.

Avoid:
    -Apevia (formerly Aspire)
    -Q-Tec/Q-tech
    -Powmax
    -NZXT
    -Logisys

Additionally, a light unit is a good indicator of a unit being junk. A heavy PSU is going to be a good sign that lots of quality capacitors and heatsinks are used in the unit. A light unit is a much more dubious proposition in it's alleged output as it probably doesn't have the capability to produce what the label says, or if it does, it's at an unrealistic operating temperature (like 25*C versus 45-50*C).

6. Adjudicator

Adjudicator Geek Trainee

Thanks for the help.

7. Adjudicator

Adjudicator Geek Trainee

Ok...Unsolved...

So I understand that DDR stands for Double Data Rate.

Now:

Does this mean that, even though various programs show 400mhz video ram speed and 333mhz RAM speed does this mean it shows the single speed and not the full "double speed" or am i getting this wrong????

If I post Screenshots of the problem can someone advise me?

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i think you are taking DDRs meaning too literally
    video RAM & RAM are usually 2 different things unless your using onboard grx, & i'm not sure about clock speed detecting software, but, temperature detecting software is not very accurate at best

P.S. read this