Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by KingOfHearts, Dec 22, 2004.

1. KingOfHearts

KingOfHearts Geek Trainee

I figured for about the same price I could just order a computer that is built for me and already tested. What is your opinion on this setup?
    They want $679.29 for it.

Case:
    LOGISYS CASE BLACK JANUS GAMING CASE W/480W PS

Mobo:
    ASUS P5GD1 SOCKET 775 915P CHIPSET

CPU:
    INTEL P4 520 2.8E 1M 800FSB LGA775 RETAI

RAM:
    DDR2 533 256MB PC2-4200 (I am going to upgrade more on my own)

Video Card:
    GIGABYTE RX30S128D RADEON X300SE PCIE X

Hard Drive:
    SEAGATE SATA 80GB HD W/5YR WARRANTY

Misc:

NO FLOPPY DRIVE (Didn't think I needed one of this?)
    BENQ 5232W BLACK IDE CDRW DRIVE
    CYBER ACOUSTICS CA-2016WB SPEAKERS
    BLACK OPTICAL MOUSE WITH LED PS/2
    REALTEK CHIPSET 10/100 NIC RETAIL BOXED
    ON BOARD SOUND
    SERVICE FULL SYSTEM ASSEMBLE W/24HR BURN IN
    ONE YEAR WARRANTY ONE YEAR PARTS & LABOR DEPOT WARRANTY

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

NO GO MAN, Case isn't that great you'll need a better power supply. Need more ram. Need better video card for that one sucks. It's socket 775 so not very good upgrades and AMD would own it.

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

yes yes we all know how the prescott sucks ass....

lol B warned me right from the start.

Don't do it dude, Athlon 64 all the way....

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

also that card is crap X300SE is basically a 9600XT, waffles would take an uneducated guess. Ie not worth the cash.

5. KingOfHearts

Waffle and Ninja, thanks for the replies, I guess I will scrap that idea. lol.

Thanks.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I like Asus, but their LGA775 915/925X boards are really expensive. Additionally, if you want to do gaming, you really need to start off with at least 512MB of RAM. Right now, DDR2 is more expensive and really doesn't have any benefits vs regular DDR. In the future, it's needed because it can scale to much higher frequencies than DDR, but right now it's an extra expense that's not worth the money. If you must stay Intel, get a 915P board that supports regular DDR.

The Prescott runs hot and has power needs, but the 915/925X are designed specifically for the Prescott. The problem is, you can take eqivalent systems with the same speed CPU and the 915/925X chipsets really don't do anything over the 865/875 chipsets.

If you want to be gaming well, then pay attention to the video card and the amount of RAM you get. The CPU is essential, but your proposition is like me saying I'll put my 2.4L Cavalier engine in a loaded Chevy Silverado truck, with the video card you decided to put up along side it.

It's nothing against Intel or the Pentium line, it's just that, for the money, AMD is offering better performance.

7. KingOfHearts

I guess the reason I was looking at Intel is because everyone was saying that I need to stick to PCI-E since that is the future. If you guys are saying that a kick ass AMD system will last me for a few years, then I will do that then.

8. Addis

Addis The King

That system is too expensive for over $600.
    You can get PCI-E mobos for Athlon64s like these which are based on the NForce4 chipsets and are PCI-E capable.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Bingo. nForce 4 boards are just coming out now, so you may find the selection rather limited. However, this does give rise to PCIe for AMD systems. For the money, either the GeForce 6600GT or Radeon X700Pro offer good graphics without requiring you to sell a kidney. Since there's a big push for PCIe video cards now with AMD solutions on the table, you should easily find PCIe cards with these chips between $150-200, and possibly even less.

10. Addis

Addis The King

Arg crap the thread was closed and my long answer was lost! :(

Heres just my opinion someone else may have other choices.

For the motherboard I'd choose one with PCI-E allowing you to save money on cheaper PCI-E cards and allow future upgrades.
    Theres a chaintech one here or you cna go for a slightly more expensive gigabyte one here.

With that I'd get an Athlon 64 3500 probably some Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 RAM and a Geforce 6600GT PCI-E.

11. KingOfHearts

Big B, sorry for starting a new thread, I just wanted to make sure people saw it. Addis, thanks for the reply. If I go buy all of these components, are they pretty easy to install or is it easy to mess something up? I know you are suppose to have a static band or something and you have to install the processor and heatsink with some grease? I'm just worried about messing up something small and screwing it up.

12. KingOfHearts

What case would you get?

13. Addis

Addis The King

to be honest I'm not really sure. Antec and Lian Li are well known makers.

14. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

thermaltake make some pretty cool looking cases backed by the respected name brand

15. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

hehe, not grease.

Thermal Paste, I think you're looking for.

It comes with most HSF's as a standard.

16. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

Hi m8 sorry i can't comment on the price becasue my currency is different, however judging by the spec its a not a bad computer but nothing equiped for anything serious i would get an amd cpu 64 bit or 32 bit there both good but if you get a 64 bit get a 939 pin as there phasing the 754 pin processor out soon! I hope it helps Dave

17. KingOfHearts

Ok, so look for a 939 motherboard.
    Thanks.