Is this a power supply problem?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Concept, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Concept

Concept Geek Trainee

For the past months my computer has been crashing (monitor and computer both still on, but screen black). This only happens when I am on hard to run games such as World of Warcraft. I have also noticed that it crashes MOST of the time when there is a lot happening on the screen.

I have looked into it possibly being a graphics card problem, I have gotten newest drivers, fans, even REPLACED the entire last card (Geforce fx 5200, to a Geforce 6800+, which cost me $180...)

I know very little about power supplies, but I THINK mine is 250w, and I do know that it is the original power supply for my 3 year old Emachines.. so I think it is about time for a new one since I have replaced most of the parts in the computer.

If anyone could lend a hand I would appreciate it.

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

wow, im surprised that it even works! that is a possiblity, try replacing it with a higher rated psu. i think that GPU's recommended PSU is 350W

3. Concept

Concept Geek Trainee

I will start looking into a new one.

4. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

But before you buy, try use Big B's PSU sticky as a guide.

PSU STICKY

5. Concept

Concept Geek Trainee

Ok. :cool:

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

Emachines have underpowered PSU's and crap power switches, a PSU that kicks ass is Antec Smart Power II also replace the power switch (from mobo to front of case)

7. Parachutes

Parachutes Geek Trainee

Thanks, I was just wondering if there was a thread like this around here somewhere.

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Man you are right donkey 42, i work on allot of emachines only to change there
    week power supplys and switches.. This as too be one of Gateways flaws...
    Since eMachine is built by Gateway , I have notice the same Flaw in Gateway
    Pc's as well. emachine's are a good computer after a little tweaking..

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, i didn't know Emachine were built by Gateway, but yeah, Emachines are great (after a little tweaking, thats why i've got one, with an Tagan TG330 & obviously a bod-j ed power switch

10. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i have an old emachines 150DVD, power supply started dieing in it, wired noise coming from the power supply, sounded like the bearings in the fan were going, and it was a 120w psu !!!! :eek:, i have had all the parts of that e machines out and all over the place, even dropped the mobo once, everything still works perfectly, my old e machines is about 4 years old now, dont use it anymore, it served its last days as a mandriva 2006 file server then an SME Server for file server and floating profiles, it's in a cuboard now, i sat a 300watt ower supply on top of it, emachines are reliable tho, anyone should get one if theyt just surf the net :good: