Is this all compatible??

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by jackie11, Feb 13, 2008.

1. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

Heya i dont really know tht much about building pcs, but we did a bit of this at college

I wanna know if this components are compatible??

Casecom LG-7760 Black/Silver Trim Mid-Tower Gaming Case - With 350W PSU

MSI K9VGM-V K8M890 Socket AM2 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (2.4GHz) Socket 939 1MB L2 Cache OEM Processor

OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC with LIFETIME WARRANTY

Maxtor STM3250310AS 250GB SATAII 8MB Cache - OEM

Thanks any help would be great

Jackie xx

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it will work but that motherboard only has SATA1 hard drive interfaces, like i said it will work, but, only at SATA1 (1.5Gb/s burst rate, not sustained) speed

as SATA2 interfaces are integrated in to most motherboards

and you would get far more performance if you added a 16X PCIe graphics card instead of using the (crappy) onboard graphics card

and PSUs that come free with cases are usually also crap, i would suggest purchasing a separate PSU

personally i have an Antec TP Trio 550W and my spec is much lower than the one you are proposing to build, basically buy the best PSU you can afford, because, you can upgrade your system in the future

BTW: Wattage that a PSU says it can output has nothing to do with how much a PSU actually outputs

3. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

No unfortunately it is not. You have a socket AM2 mobo and a socket 939 processor. If you want something that is not that great of a performer like that 4k+, I can find you something. Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 2.4GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor - Retail

There you go.

Edit: HAHA Caught u donkey :) Although everything donkey is saying is correct. The SATA 2 would be an upgrade, but SATA 1 should be fine with the type of system you are building. You didn't choose anything that gives great performance so I'm guessing this isn't for gaming, just workstation type stuff.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

ok, ok,i hold my hands up, so, my b4lls are clear for you to knee them

BTW: LOL

Edit: just out of curiosity jackie11, what's your budget

5. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

LOL, come on man it's all in good sport :)

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it was funny though

7. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

Say about £250

I want to do a bit of gaming, nothing serious thou
    i basically want a media centre

Jackie xx

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, personally i would go the easy way & spend about £200 on a crap PC from a computer shop and then upgrade the necessary parts yourself, like the PSU and case switch and make sure it has a separate gfx card, as many mobo's with integrated gfx do not have a separate gfx slot, however, some do, just be very careful, as the salesman will tell you a system does not have integrated gfx when it does

9. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I wouldn't recommend a crap system. The reason is that crap systems come with crap motherboards so, considering that the mobo is the component that connects your system together, you cannot make a decent machine on a crap motherboard.

That said, with your original components, here are my suggestions:
    If you want to game get a better motherboard.
    As donkey said, get a better PSU.
    Get cheaper RAM, the platinum line from OCZ is great, but not needed in that system.

10. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

ok thanks, i will build it myself when i get a new one

Jackie xx

11. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

Get an intel processor and board, spend the same amount of money and mabye overclock on an intel cpu, the performance will be allot better.

If he's not a gamer then intergrated graphics will save him money, power supply wattage, and won't need a case very good at cooling. To be fair, you can't really play games with a $500 pc

Here's what you Should get, if you want the most performance/$ possible

• Casecom LG-7760 Black/Silver Trim Mid-Tower Gaming Case
    • Antec Basiq 350W ATX12V v2.01 Computer Power Supply, Supports SATA, Model: BP350
    • Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C LGA775 mATX Motherboard,
    • ZOGIS GeForce 8600 GT 512MB PCI-E Video Card ZO86GT-E, SLI Ready, DirectX 10, HDTV, w/ DVI & CRT
    • Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 320GB 3.5in SATA Hard Drive Corsair XMS2 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 Dual Channel Memory, DDR2 800 (yes it will work on the board)
    • Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe LGA775 Dual-Core CPU BX80557E6550, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB, 4MB L2 Cache, 65nm or E6750 if you can afford it
    That should be around your budget

12. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

i anit a guy lol, no i dont want as much poformance as possible, i wanna be able to play tomb raider/san andreas/music without it slowing

Jackie xx

13. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

You just want a budget build. That's all you'll need.

Personally, I'd get a cheap mobo with a p35 chipset. An E2200 Proc (overclock to 2.8 GHz if you are comfortable doing that.) And the rest of your hardware was fine. Just grab a cheap pci card (x1650ish) and you'll be fine. Nice and cheap and able to play your games.

14. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

ive got a pci card radeon 9250, but i dont know how to install it properly

15. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

n i downloaded san andreas, so maybe it dont work anyway

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

just remove the computers lid and locate a PCI slot

it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    but obviously a bit bigger

push the card into the slot firmly & straight, when all the contacts at the bottom of the card are inside the slot & the metal bar at the back of the PC is touching the PC case

then simply secure the card in place with the screw on top of the card backplate & remove any existing grx cards replace the lid & don't forget to connect you monitor to the new gfx card and just boot up normaly & Windoze will automatically detect the new grx card, just go through the wizard that comes up automatically to configure it

congrats, you just correctly installed a gfx card :beer:

BTW don't worry, you can't put them in the wrong way around

17. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

i did that, and when i plug my monitor into the card, i get no picture, no nothing from the monitor

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

ok, there is a few things to check
    • if it has integrated / onboard gfx doublecheck & make sure it's disabled in the BIOS
    • try a different "known working" monitor, or, make sure your monitor is working (by testing it on another system
    • try another "known working" power cable for your monitor (if it's not connected to your PSU)
    • try the gfx card in another system
    just look at it logically

BTW: it may just be a blown fuse, try the above combinations to find out what works

finally does the power light on the monitor change colour, because, if it does, there's no point trying different power cables

19. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

ok thanks, i will try them on sat morning n let u know.

btw; i love tht mad n brit picture haha

20. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sig pic or avatar