Jerky Graphics

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by tprime, Dec 18, 2002.

1. tprime

tprime Geek Trainee

Hi everyone, please click this link to see my problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25961

I'm experiencing problems playing games. My screen is not smooth and flowing, but very jerky, like a slight pause every few seconds. 3 weeks ago my crappy compaq died on me. I did not experience this problem on my compaq. I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to build my first computer, which I've wanted to do for awhile. While I wait for my parts to be delivered I went to best buy and picked up a sony vaio desktop p4 system 2.4 ghz. 14 day return policy why not, can't go without a computer right? I started experiencing this problem with this system, now keep in mind I still have my same video card and sound card, monitor.... just the desktop is different. Built my system took the sony back....Still have the same problem.
    Here are some facts and things I've tried:
    1. I still score 9500+ in mad onions 3d mark(screen is jerky in that too)
    2. This problem is not a flickering problem the screen actually pauses briefly, I've adjusted the refresh rate and it still happens looks different and it happens at different speeds between 60 hz and 100 hz)
    3. I've tried the 2 latest drivers from Nvidia
    4. I've reinstalled my old Radeon 7200 (Jerky is still there)
    5. I've uninstalled my soundblaster audigy
    6. I can't find any drivers for my compaq FS740 crt monitor
    7. Running directx diagnostics turns up nothing, altought the tests with the bouncing white box is jerky too.

Thats all I can think of right now. I feel like I've narrowed it down to the monitor, but I would like some input before I go out and buy a new one, better yet I'd like to be able to fix this.
    Specs are below

-=Sniper=-; Justing case the above thread is moved or deleted, it would be better to mention the full problem!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try downloading the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers from Via Arena. 4.40 is the latest.

3. tprime

tprime Geek Trainee

Actually I use the via 4in1 hyperion drivers version 4.45

4. tprime

tprime Geek Trainee

I'll lay down everything I've tried in case link is removed.
    After I did everything that is listed in the first post I
    1. Flashed bios to most current version
    2. Changed video cards to an old radeon 7200 plugged the monitor into that still no change
    3. Tried all the archived nvidia drivers
    4. Plugged computer into my tv with an s-video cable--Now this worked and ran very smoothly, but I have no idea why, and I'm not about to use my computer on my 51 inch tv all the time( It did score over 11000 on 3d mark with the tv)
    5. After that I figured it had to be my monitor or my monitor cable, so I bought a new monitor--19 inch viewsonic ctr ultrabrite a90f+
    6. plugged in new monitor, eager with anticipation:mad: jerky still there
    7. nothing is running in the background
    8. I've unhooked my cable modem and manually set my NIC
    9. Have no Idea what to do next
    The fact that it works well through the video out on my video card to my tv but does not work through the vga hookup to my monitor is what really puzzles me.

5. KAoS.UK

KAoS.UK Geek Trainee

Have u come across a solution yet? coz Ive got the same probs on a different hardware setup.

Ive got a GF4 tho so maybe something in common hmmm.....

6. tprime

tprime Geek Trainee

nope, no solution, I'm just learning to accept it.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hmm...Creative is known for their sound cards to give people problems...what I'm suggesting may seem a bit over the top, but it's at least something to try.

Backup your data first. Remove the Sound Blaster card and disable any onboard components like USB, LAN, etc. anything that you don't need. Remove any unnecessary cards you may have, save video. basically go as bare as you can in the component list, 1 stick of RAM, also go with the slowest timings for memory etc in BIOS---there probably is a failsafe setting in your BIOS.
    Okay, once that is all done, install Windows on the machine as it is. At this point, get the motherboard drivers installed followed by the grahpics card. Next try some games out on it. If that's fine, start by enabling or adding one component at at time until you run into a problem or you've gotten everything back in (without running into that problem. Also, make sure to get the latest drivers for your components.

This does sound extreme, but I haven't come up with anything else that can be done.

8. Gondo

Gondo Geek Trainee

Have you run a refresh rate fix program for the brand of video card you use?

The reason I ask, is because windows 2000, and XP have a problem with DirectX being stuck at 60Hz, no matter what you set your desktop to.

I had very slight (but annoying) stuttering in 3DMark and other
    D3D apps untill I ran a refresh rate fix, on both my GF 4 and ATI 9700 Pro cards, all is fine now though.

Do a google search for 'refresh rate fix', and you should be able to find one for your particualar card, eg nVidia or ATI or whatever.