k7s5a Pro, weird thing with geforce 440 card

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by galerie, Oct 7, 2003.

1. galerie

galerie Geek Trainee

hello...i just installed a k7s5a pro board, atlon 1.8g processor and an antec 400w psu.... (kept my other peripherals). i have 384 megs pc133 ram, i cdrw drive, 2 hard drives, 1 floppy. 1 pci for network and i agp for video. the weird thing is, when i first start up the pc, the video will not come on. I have to unplug my pc, take out the agp card and put it back in...then when i power up, i get video

anyone know why this is happening????

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

when there's no video, do you hear beeps of any kind ? do you hear the hdd spin or fans spin or leds lighting up or anything that tells you the computer is turned on ?

when exactly does it do it ? Does it do it everytime you cold boot ?

the only thing I can see is the card is not suited in properly, but you would hear beeps if that were the case.

I highly doubt it's a psu problem.

3. galerie

galerie Geek Trainee

yes it does every cold boot.... No there are no beeps, the fans and hard drive spin.... It posts fine.... weird isn't it...

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, it's an ECS board, and basically one of the lowest bidders as far as motherboards go. The only thing other than the board that I'd reall suspect would be the PSU, but for your configuration, I can't see that really being the problem. You might wanna just check the voltage readings in BIOS and make sure they're not too far off the mark for each of the rails: 3.3V, 5V, and 12V. If any of those are over 10% off the mark either way, especially lower, you might consider the PSU as the problem. However, based on experience with and reading about, I think the ECS board is likely the culprit. In this case, I'd honestly suggest trading for another brand that's better, but that likely means looking at getting some DDR to go with it, so see about exchanging the board.