keyboard problem with epox ep-58mvp3c board

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by bulastog, Nov 10, 2003.

1. bulastog

bulastog Geek Trainee

i am having this simple problem that i cant solve right now...the problem is that when i power on my cpu, the cpu always have that sound from the cpu speaker and that it has an error in the memory check... (keyboard error or no keyboard) is the problem...i had a research and found out that it may be caused by a keyboard buffer is being flooded...how can I resolve this kind of problem...i have tried already changing the keyboard itself but it didn't take effect...and one thing, when i press a key it always start to have that sound again and it doesn't respond to what i am pressing...so, when the windows or freebsd booted already, it didn't detect keyboard that is plug-in and to freebsd, i think it didn't detect a keyboard controller...

my specs:
    AMD k6-2 400MHz
    256MB SDRAM
    Epox EP-58MVP3C Motherboard w/512kb L2 cache
    Trident 3DImage9750 4mb Video Card (AGP)
    Avance Logic ALS4000 Sound Card
    RTL8029(AS) NIC
    Seagate 10GB Hard Disk
    40x CDROM Drive
    Windows XP Pro
    FreeBSD 5.1 RELEASE

the board is an AT keyboard and it has an optional ps/2 mouse
    thanks...

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Make sure the keyboard controller is enabled in BIOS or by the jumper setting---whatever it uses.

I've been trying to get the manual off Epox site, but no luck. I don't know if you have it, but if you do, check it. Older boards like yours tend to have jumpers for quite a bit of stuff.

3. bulastog

bulastog Geek Trainee

it's been functioning since two weeks ago...it just started that way and i had no idea how it happen...i had the manual and there's no thing bout the keyboard stuff...well, thanks for the info...

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's likely the keyboard controller just simply went bad.

5. bulastog

bulastog Geek Trainee

how can i resolve this issue??? sometimes the keyboard is funtioning and at later time it will just went bad... one thing, i happened to force the cpu to move in the table and making the keyboard socket (the one that is plugging in the keyboard) with the keyboard itself plug-in to the socket bend it without noticing it...but at that time there's no problem that occur...

thanks again...

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, unless you're an electronics engineer with some special equipment you can use to fix it, you're only real option is to buy a new motherboard. Not trying to be harsh, but it sounds like that controller is going out. AFAIK, there isn't any add-in card you can buy that's equiped with AT or PS/2 ports. A USB keyboard might work, but that board is old enough that it may very well not recognize the keyboard from BIOS. XP would be okay, but BSD could have more fits with it.

7. bulastog

bulastog Geek Trainee

well, my real plan also is to get a new motherboard...but the problem is tha i have no money to buy... so, i have to fix this board for the mean time until that i can afford to buy a new one...maybe i can do that electrical thing and maybe it might work... thanks again to the tips...

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Good luck trying to find what's busted...it's not something you'll just be able to whip out the soldering iron and repair it.

9. bulastog

bulastog Geek Trainee

well, just today it's functioning already and its still good...im running my pc for 4 hours already and its still alive with the keyboard...i found out that one of my memory stick is malfunctioning...there are errors that windows display and that i cant boot windows and also freebsd...the freesbd display a series of memory address and i figure it out that it maybe one of my memory stick malfunctioning already and that it may cause my keyboard controller also to malfunction...hehehe...i hope that this will be the cause...i remove the memory stick already and its pc100 - 128mb sdram...hope that i can have a substitute ram for my pc... hehehe...

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

RAM is cheap, but if you're planning on building a new rig, I wouldn't invest too much in SDRAM, since the present and near future is going to be DDR SDRAM (as opposed to SDR SDRAM like you're using).