Kubuntu, any good?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Dambuster, Apr 2, 2007.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Also, you might want to ditch Kubuntu 6.10 in favour of 7.04 (Feisty Fawn, in beta).

2. Dambuster

Dambuster Magic

I think that Kubuntu doesn't have a version for my processor type i.e. Intel x.64 processor... Also do you have a link to the newer version of Kubuntu megamaced ?
    I wrote the x86 version on DVD but obviously it won't work with my Intel Core 2 Extreme processor...

3. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

x86 would be the right version. AMD64 should work also.

See this page for feisty beta.

**EDIT** forgot to mention there is no need to download the DVD. The CD will work fine, for future reference.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Download the CD, because the DVD is packed with out of date software you will never use.

I'd recommend you download the 32-BIT x86 version, as that's the most compatible with multimedia codecs, flash etc. Besides, the AMD64 build barely gives you better performance.

5. Dambuster

Dambuster Magic

Ok thanks, I'm downloading it now!

6. Dambuster

Dambuster Magic

Am I supposed to use a specific program to write it on CD or Nero is fine?
    It's the 2nd time I've written it on a disc (once on CD (7.04) the other on DVD (6.10)) and it still gives me the same errors... :doh: I'm not sure whether I have to prepare a partition especially for it or not... In the descriptions at least it was said that I could try it without changing my settings...
    I don't get this whole thing...

7. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

True, you can play with it without installing anything, via the liveCD option. I would highly recommend this anyway so you can test your hardware prior to installing. Did you check the MD5 sum of the burned CD or DVD? You can get this information from the download page. That will check the data integrity. NERO should work fine. There should be burning instructions somewhere on the download site also.

What errors are you getting?

8. Dambuster

Dambuster Magic

live CD isn't on the disc I wrote, do I have to get it from the website? I've already looked for it but maybe in the wrong place...

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, it's here I've already looked for it but maybe in the wrong place...[/QUOTE] (just decide if you want Dapper or Edgy)

this is a good burning program & its free

BTW: there are plenty .ISO burning tutorials on the net, personally when i used XP i liked this ISO powertoy

10. Dambuster

Dambuster Magic

It's ok, I know how to write ISOs on CD, I use nero and since it is said that there's no problem using it to write Kubuntu then had a 2nd attempt and it was successful!:cool: . The only thing I don't get is:
    Well I searched for it nothing very clear came up reall and the link you gave me donkey42 only allows the download of Kubuntu's different version if I've understood correctly... so my question is: from where do I get this feature (live CD) ?
    Thank you.

11. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

The "desktop CD" is a liveCD, which is the default download. You put in the CD then you boot into kubuntu and you can play with it. There will be an "install" icon on the desktop, this is what you click when you are ready to install to the harddrive.

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

good

Live CDs are bootable CDs[ot]just remember to change the boot priority in the BIOS[/ot] more than a few distro's are available on Live CD's, but there are not too many distro's that are both a Live CD and an instalation CD too, Kubuntu is a distro that is both a Live CD and so is Ubuntu (Kubuntu with Gnome instead of KDE[ot]hence the K in Kubuntu[/ot]exacly what distro do you want Dapper, Edgy or Feisty, or you could look @ DistroWatch for some different *nix's, or are you sure you want Kubuntu ?

13. Dambuster

Dambuster Magic

got it! Well my version is 7.04 Feisty Fawn, I'll boot using the CD and see what happens!

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

good[ot]let me know how you get on, cos i'll be moving over to Feisty when it is released (it's realeased on about the 19th of this month, i think)[/ot]

15. Dambuster

Dambuster Magic

Alright I still get the same error: "buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical, block0"
    "end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, logical block0, sector0"
    it might be one of the following devices I have: wireless mouse, iPod, Joystick and it might be one of the HDDs...

16. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

fd0 is your primary floppy drive. Is there a disk in the drive? It's not often that floppy drives give off I/O errors when there is no disk in the drive.

You may also try and disconnect your floppy drive. It's possible that the drive is toast anyway.

17. donkey42

donkey42 plank

fd0 = Floppy disc / drive number 1, a second FDD would be fd1[ot]i don't know why they start counting stuff at 0 (zero) but they do[/ot]
    is there a dammaged floppy disc in your FDD, have you set the CD as the first bootable drive in the BIOS
    unlikly but try connecting just 1 HDD[ot]probably as primary master[/ot]

BTW: i think your system is trying to boot from your FDD, block0 & sector0 are where the MBR (Master Boot Record) lives (i think)

Edit:
    true, but for a successful boot of most BIOSs, the FDD must be disabled in the BIOS

18. Dambuster

Dambuster Magic

there's just one problem: I don't even have a floppy drive... and I've set the boot priority to the DVD drive... in order to boot from the Kubuntu CD.

19. donkey42

donkey42 plank

strange; does your BIOS think you have a FDD

20. Dambuster

Dambuster Magic

like before I had one installed but took it off cause my new case didn't really have the room to put one and I didn't have any use for it... but both BIOS and Windows detect it... :O