Laptop LOCKED!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by herbjr, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Easiest thing is just stick around with any website which provides help in fixing up computers. Read the problems and wait for the other members to answer. If you know the answer then spit it. In the begining you might not able to answer a single querry but after sometime(probably 1 month) you will start realizing that you have learned quite a bit. After 6months, you will feel that you know nearly all the solutions to the general problems. For eg. HDD is not recognised by the computer but I can see it in the BIOS or When I try to run this(any) software, I get this(bla bla) error. There is even lots of information available on this website as well. If you go to each section for eg. Linux section, you will see some sticky threads at the top. Which will provide you good knowledge about it. I am sticking to this website because I like the community here.

About Hacking, In todays world, its good to know more about security than Hacking. As you said, you will own a business which will be based around computers. Hacking will not help you securing your business. It is also recognised as a bad thing and you may end up screwing urself with big fines.

Things which are good to learn.
    If you have some spare time and you want to save some bucks while opening your business, then start learning Linux. Free OS, doesnt require Anti Viruses. Most of the softwares are open source for it. Even you can set it up as a server. If you plan the same thing with the Microsoft, that will cost you Heaps. 1 WinXPP costs $250 NZD, Office XP around $450, Anti Viruses subscriptions, You might have a plan to buy a SMB 2003 server will cost you around 1000$. Dont know how many offices CD and Windows CD you will buy.

There is no problem in going with offtopic as you can see my previous post, which is completely offtopic. Just use [ot]write your stuff here[/*ot] codes while writing offtopic subject.

The easiest way to find out the information is by searching. My 60% of the replies are always based on searching. It was around 85% in the begining but now I have learned quite a bit, so less searching is required. Main thing to cosider while searching is just to look at the subject. If you are searching for "an error in windows" its always good to search in Microsoft website. If there is a problem with particular Hardware then search on the OEM website. If you dont get your answers then use google then yahoo. After that I give up but if you think that you can still find out the answer then continue it on other search engines.:D

I can understand when someone opens the computer first time. But I am telling you, if you get in contact with these type of websites then you will get lot of confidence while opening them because you will have all the knowledge and image of the product in your mind. After opeining it 2-3 times, you will be a computer geek:p :beer:

I hope it will help you~!

2. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

Thanks alot man. I think i started learning just by reading that lol. I really do plan on staying on this site, thanks to matt for bring me here.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

same difference !

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Did you ever fix your passwd problem?

I was looking at test disk and found this...
    CmosPwd - CGSecurity

5. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

Well not yet lmao. I am having someone fix my keyboard and they are going to handle the CMOS battary while there at it. But thanks. I am going to try and get my stepdads old computer so I can play around with it and learn some things.

6. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

[ot]
    My laptop has a slot on the bottom for 2 memory chips. It only has one. I want to buy 2 more so i can have alot more space on my laptop. Would this effect anything besides the saved data on my computer?? Would this make me have to replace other parts to keep up with the memory or something??? lol. Just wondering.

What memory cards would be best. I would be using this laptop alot. Almost everyday. And I would need it to run like really fast and never gets slow (unless i keep it on for weeks lol). Any suggestions??
    [/ot]

7. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Just so you know, not all laptops have a removable CMOS battery, so you could just have cracked open your laptop for no reason. As for your slots you mentioned, I think you're talking about your DIMM slots which hold your RAM modules. You can upgrade your RAM in your laptop but just make sure that the RAM you buy is compatible with the laptop.

8. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Go to the OEM website and select the laptop you have got. See, whats the maximum amount of RAM supported by your laptop and which RAM as per STIMPE said. Then update it accordingly~!

9. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Oh and as for getting rid of your little CMOS password, I'd suggest downloading Hiren's boot CD. It has a whole whackload of very useful utilities beyond your wildest dreams.

10. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

But do I have to dl it onto my laptop???? Because if I do, then I cant. I can't get onto my laptop without putting in a password.

I was told that it could not be taken off unless I go to Toshiba because the pass is there for if the laptop get's stolen or something. If I could just reboot everything then am willing to do that, if it'll work.