Like usual, I screwed something up :)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ninja fetus, Aug 17, 2004.

1. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Okey dokey. Thanks to the help of AT I was opening ports on my router. I screwed something up BIG TIME.
    I reset my router blablah. Is there any way I can just totally reset my networking to defaults? Like would a repair fix that?
    I screwed something up and now my comp. Won't do a thing with my NIC, onboard and a lynksis.
    So I popped in a discos and it works now. Something wrong in windows.
    any advice?

2. ninja fetus

Well, I upgraded to WinXP Pro. I would still like to know how to fix the problem though, no matter what I did, even connect directly to my modem, windows would not connect to anything. Even my network wasn't there. I'm just curious.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hmm, it sounds like you might have messed up your router's settings. You'll probably have to reset it to factory settings and set it up from scratch. On the bright side, it's a good time to update your firmware, if you haven't already... :cramp:

4. ninja fetus

I reset it and my computer still the problem remained

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

by reset you mean, you restarted it? or reset it to default settings? what router do you have anyway?

6. ninja fetus

I reset it to default settings, it's a "Network Everywhere NR 041" 4-port router. By Linksys.

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Now you just have to set it up to match you required network settings.

8. ninja fetus

9. ninja fetus

Uhh yeah it happened again.
    I didn't change any network settings on windows install, I left everything default. I had my computer going to a 4port router, then to a cable modem.

I went to my friends house last night and MS wont have anything to do with my internet conenction. It goes from my computer to a dsl modem with a 4 port switch.
    It says everything is connected and all, but when i open up any connection it says that it couldn't connect. blahblahblah.

Is there any way I can just reset my network settings or just....I dunno. Nothing is wrong with my friend's modem or the patch cables.
    When I pop in a linuxd discos. It connects no problem. Wht th f! I don't have my win xp cd or any other cd's on me. HELP!

10. ninja fetus

Yeah. I got the feeling no one likes me...

11. Sniper

since using the Linux distro, the internet works! it must be the settings in XP that you are using?! maybe a firewall blocking access? internet settings in IE?

or try this! Turn off the modem, turn off the router (unplug). Then go to in My Computer > control panel > network, and right click on your Lan connection choose properties. select the TCP/IP part and click properties. If you have a static IP address change that to Configure automatically, both the IP of the computer and the Preferred DNS. Close all the windows! Reboot.

12. ninja fetus

Thanks. Didn't work though. I just got home from my friends and now my connection works. ?! what?! This isn't the first time, it's happened only with my computer at CS lan parties. It's like windows doesn't want anything to do with other connections... I'm clueless.

13. Sniper

maybe some ports are closed? which need to be open!

14. ninja fetus

nope, internet worked fine on another comp