Loose memory clips ?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by harrack52, Apr 27, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Ok this morning I turned on my computer and I heard continuous beeps but the system posted just fine and windows started just like it should have.

5-10 min into windows, it rebooted automatically. The temp is not the issue as it was a cold boot, and I checked it. I looked at the award beep codes on the site that Big B provided in a sticky (thanks) and it said it was a ram problem. So I look at the ram and notice that one of the two clips is a bit looser than the other, so I put the memory in another slot and now it works just fine : no beeps no nothing.

Why is it that the system posts if the ram is not correctly put ?

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

This morning I turned it on and the beeps happened again. I really don't know what's going on !

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You might see about pushing the clips back in if they have come loose (happened to me once---lost a stick of RAM before figuring it out).

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It seems that was not my problem because I know they are ok but the beeps occured again this morning.

5. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Hey
    be careful with loose ram...my friend fried his ram cuz it wasnt in all the way so make sure its in securely...as for the clips, i wouldnt use that slot. Use a different one like you said you did. Make sure you are hearing the corrent beeps and double check them with the sticky provided by Big B...gl!
    later

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If possible, you might want to try the RAM in an entirely different PC as well. Believe me, the smell of burning RAM (or CPU) is not nice.

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

The ram is well connected, there is no doubt about that.

Unfortunately, I don't have another DDR board so I cannot test it in another pc.

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Not that it really matters but anyway, I found the problem.

In addition of what I described, I was hearing a bizarre noise when opening the computer, from the fan.
    Well I decided to check the speed just today (no, not a month ago, today ! ...), and the beeps were warning me that the fan was below 4000 rpm.
    So the solution is to get another fan I guess.
    When this is solved, I'll be able to continue "working" for our united device team, as the high temps, caused by a sucky fan, were making the system reboot continuously when under heavy load.
    The fan starts at 3500 rpm and slowly (takes about 30 seconds) speeds up to 4500 rpm (it used to be between 4800 and 4900 rpm all the time)

Thanks guys, I should have checked that right away (didn't think a 3 month old fan (stock fan) would stop working like it should).