make a start up disc with winxp

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by rixx, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

A quick format just formats the MBR (master boot record), while a full format formats the entire disk (or partition).

2. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

So I'm guessing a full format is mandatory with a new HDD?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You can try a quick format. I've had mixed results. Worst case scenario, you have to do a full format. And that's not a bad idea to start off with.

4. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Yeah, I'll just do a full format initially.

I just wanted to throw in a quick thanks, Big B. I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately and you've been answering them all diligently, thank you very much.

Anyway, I'm still awaiting a response from Maxtor about whether MBP can do NTFS or not.

5. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Well, MBP can only do FAT partitions. So I guess I should format using XP and NTFS then?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. After you select where you want to install WinXP to, it'll tell you that the drive needs formatting. At that point, that's what ya do.

7. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Okay, sounds good.

Uh, check my other thread to continue this, as it's not really mine.

8. rixx

rixx Geek Trainee

i might seem a bit cautious with this whole format thing but when i tried the format it didn't quite work as i expected.

format c:/ s - this didnt work but format c: was ok. is it neccesay to transfer the system files or is format c: ok?

when i am in windows and i try to format by right clicking on the hard disc and selecting format i get this message
    - volume in use
    do u want to force a dismount on this volume?

im presuming forcing a dismount is fine as is format :c . i just want to check cos i dont want to be left with a useless disc - so thanks for your patience and especially bigb since u answered a lot of my questions on these boards.

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

while you'Re inside windows and that that version of windows is installed on c: you cannot fromat it because that'S what you're using right now.

I think you only have to copy the system files on the disk while formatting it IF you want to boot from it afterwards without anything on it(but those sytem files) although I may be wrong.

personnally what I always do before formatting is I use fdisk to destroy the partition to make sure absolutely nothing is left then I create another one, then I format without the system files, all this from a bootdisk.

as for dismount I just do not know what it is :)

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Rixx, you don't need the format c:\ part at all.
    Just have your PC boot off the CD-ROM drive as the first thing on the list. With the CD-ROM in the drive, boot the PC up and stay by it. After it POSTs, you'll have a short amount of time to hit any key and boot off the XP disc. It'll run some initial setup stuff and then ask you about installing XP. At this point, you'll have very limited options: Install XP, Repair XP, or Quit the install. You want to install XP. Then you'll have to accept the License Agreement by hitting F8. At this point, it'll detect your hard drives, and give you some options on formatting and deleting partitions. If you have any partitions you want to delete, you'll have several chances to back out if you accidentally do it.
    Going from that (or skipping if it doesn't apply or you don't want to), formatting the drive comes next. You should have at least the option for a full NTFS format and a full FAT format (the FAT used will be FAT32). This will be present if it's a raw, unformatted drive.

I suggest NTFS for better handling of large hard drive spaces and security reasons.
    At this point it'll format, copy files, and then reboot. It'll still give you an option to boot off the CD-ROM (unless you change it at the reboot), but don't hit any keys. The XP setup will do it's thing until you are needed.

11. rixx

rixx Geek Trainee

ok thanks this works and its what i have done for the time being. thing is following this method i have to reinstall xp and i would reallly like to be able to just format and then install whatever i want later.