MEM Speed

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by dannnyjos, Dec 4, 2003.

1. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Hi you all:
    I recently bought an ASUS Deluxe with nForce2 chipset. Pretty expensive Mobo by the way. :blink:
    Anyhow, I bought along with it a 512 MB memory stick with 400 Mhz. My problem is that no matter what changes I make in the BIOS, I cannot get the Memory to run at 400 Mhz. :crash:
    And the Mobo says it's 400 Mhz System Bus ready!
    Please, I would really appreciate it if someone would help me solve this. It's been two weeks now and I'm really frustrated. Well, thanks in advance for your help.

Specs.

ASUS Deluxe Nvidia nForce2
    AMD Athlon 2600 XP
    512 MB RAM
    60 GB Maxtor
    400 W PSU
    Nvidia FX 5600 (256RAM)
    Sound Blaster 5.1
    Win 2000

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Is the memory currently running at 333MHz? Does this help at all?

Note: It's reportedly very bad form to answer a question with a question, you know :)

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

under the advanced chipset features menu, there should be an option called "cpu interace". Set it to aggressive. Then change the memory frequency to 120% (which is the ratio of 200/166) and your memory should run at 200mhz.

However, you will gain performance in running the memory in sync with the bus speed, so Isuggst you select "sync" instead of 120%.

I know it sounds odd, but if your cpu bus is at 166, your system will be faster with the memory at 166 rather than at 200. That's on a AMD setup. Intel is different. (...is costly and has enough money....buy AMD :D )

4. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Wow, you guys really know your stuff! :agree:

I had already gone to advanced chipset, and adjust the settings to agressive, but it gave me a lot of problems. It seems that when you set it to "agressive" the Mobo overclocks itself or something.
    I'll try both of your suggestions anyways and tomorrow I'll let you know how it went.
    Thanks again.;)

5. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

I know I said I would tell you how it went, but I didn't have the time today. I'll try both of your suggestions on the weekend and report the results on Monday. :read:

6. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Ok. Turns out that you were both right. The frequency of the memory is directly related to the FSB of the processor. That's my problem. Guess I won't be running my MEM at 400 Mhz until I change my CPU. :(
    Anyways, thanks for your help guys! :cool:

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You're welcome :)

BTW, try not to be too dissapointed about running at 333MHz. You'll find that (memory benchmarks aside) you actually get better overall performance when the FSB and RAM are matched clock for clock.