Memory Divider and ram bandwidth

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Merlin, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

If you are running ram that cant keep up with your maximum FSB, for example PC2700 with an Athlon 64, and you alter the ram divider. Do you get the same ram bandwith as you would with PC3200 running the default divider settings?

2. zeus

zeus out of date

The lower the RAMs speed the lower the bandwidth, generally speaking.

Use sandra to check your bandwidth. There may be other programs but I use sandra professional 2001.

I mentioned this is another post.....
    My ram latency cant be reduced when the fsb is more than 130mhz. But if I set the fsb to 125 and lower the latency I get more bandwidth. Its only a tiny amount, something you would never notice.

Like I said, check it for yourself with a bandwidth app.

I always notice stuff when I re-read posts.... you do know that you will have to change the divider simply to make the pc2700 work? Otherwise you are overclocking the pc2700 to pc3200 speeds. Thats 333mhz to 400mhz. In that case no the bandwidth wont be the same. If all is perfect (which it never is) you will have 500mbs less when you change the divider to suit the pc2700.
    Thats where the names come from....
    ddr400/pc3200 = 400mhz/3200mbs
    ddr333/pc2700 = 333mhz/2700mbs

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, given that the RAM is running on a divider vs. the A64 memory controller anyway, running PC2700 speeds isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. It'll change a little in benchmarks, but that difference is woefully short of making any tangible difference in speed. I don't have any links off-hand, but I have seen some tests running PC3200 and PC2700 speeds with A64's and there wasn't a great deal of difference.