memory problem 2

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by swoop, Apr 30, 2003.

1. swoop

swoop Geek Trainee

Hi, I just got a new 512MB pc2100 chip from PNY (via newegg) and I plugged it in to my Abit KG7-R mobo and when I start it up, it hangs just after it does the memory check before the device loading. The activity light is solid and the computer responds to nothing except pressing the reset button on the case and killing power from the psu. I try to hit del to go into bios setup but it won't let me. And if I try to turn it on with the 512 and the 256, both pc2100 and ddr and non-ecc and 266mhz, I don't even get a signal to my monitor and nothing happens (it doesn't even respond to the reset button on the case this time and the activity light is solid).

I've tried 3 out of the 4 ram slots with the 512, my graphics card is blocking the 4th slot, and haven't had any success. I checked the PNY site and it says that the ram is compatible with my mobo so I'm lost. Any ideas?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Make sure you've got your memory timings set at their slowest (when using numbers, use the highest value)

3. swoop

swoop Geek Trainee

I don't know what you mean by that.

I've gone into my BIOS with just the 256 module in. I can't get in with the 512 module in at all no matter where it's at on the motherboard and no matter whether it's in with the 256 or not. I always have the 512 closer to the cpu when it's in with the 256.

Only thing I can think of is that the module is defective but that doesn't make much sense because my comp still recognizes it...

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

In BIOS, probably under the Advanced Chipset features---I'm not sure on this, check your manual--there are settings relating to CAS, RAS, among other items. Set these to the highest values you can. If you don't see that, try using the failsafe option from the main menu (if it's available).

If that doesn't fix it, get new ram. Hell, get different RAM anyway. PNY has the absolute worst RAM from my experience. Even if you're not a hardcore tweaker, buy something a little better, like Crucial or Samsung.