Memory Timings/Speed

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Matt555, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Okay, I have DDR333 (PC2700) in my computer, i know this because thats what was put in when it got built and it hasnt changed, i've also checked the parts numbers in the net.
    however, CPU-Z reads that it is 133MHz (266MHz as its DDR) and the Timings are consistent with that speed.
    i have read on CPU-Z under the SPD section that the timings for my memory should be 2.5 3 3 7 and they are 2 3 3 6 which is the timings for DDR266 memory.
    What is going on here? is there something i need to change in BIOS for get the memory right? or is it that my old Celeron 2.6GHz cant handle DDR333 memory?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

okay i just read that PC wizard is reading it as 137MHz (PC 2200) whats going on here?
    [​IMG]

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've never heard of PC Wizard, but CPU-Z is the defacto standard for CPU speed and showing the SPD settings. If CPU-Z is saying something, then you've probably got a slight OC on your hands.

As far as changing the timings, I'd check if you're stable first off. Run [google]Memtest[/google] first, preferrably for 3-5 hours to give it a good work out. If that's not turning up any errors, I'd leave it. If it is, you'd need to look in BIOS, and probably under something like "Frequency/Voltage Controls" Of course, some basic motherboards may not have these options anywhere, but pretty much any of the ones out today would have those settings.

Matt555 likes this.
  4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i ran memtest a few weeks back, it didnt find any errors, hmm strange, memory is DDR333, bios reads it as 266 (133x2) CPU-Z and PC wizard read it as PC2200 (137MHzx2) and the timings read in bios and CPU-Z are 2 3 3 6 which are consistent with the PC2100 memory, and yet its DDR333 (PC2700) and the timings ahould be 2.5 3 3 7 for that....UBER WEIRD!!

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

At least i know it shouldnt be my motherboard, as it supports DDR 266/333/400.

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i think i have worked it out, i went into my bios and looked at my frequency/voltage control.....DDR clock was 266MHz, and it was dark blue meaning i couldnt directly change it...so i fiddled around with a few things and changed my FSB on my CPU in there, its at 100MHz with a 26x multiplier is that normal? its a celeron....anyway when i changed that my ram speeds started to go up..i think the FSB on my CPU was restricting the RAM...well i may try and overclock to see what i can get up to but stay stable

7. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Well its not unusual for RAM to run at different timings, it depends on BIOS configuration and motherboard!
    100Mhz with 26x mulitiplier is normal, celeron's and P4's run quad pumped (100Mhz X 4 giving a FSB of 400Mhz).
    But id check if that celeron of yours has a 400Mhz FSB or a 533Mhz FSB!
    Im pretty sure it should be at 533 at that speed!

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah but i dont think i can adjust the multiplier, although i could try, hmm i might try that but i dont want to mess around too much....as i dont know much about overclocking and adjusting stuff like that

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

[​IMG]
    does this mean anything? bus speed?

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

from the looks of things on the internet, it might be that its should have a 533FSB, i'll restart and check to see if i can adjust the multiplier and it will automatically adjust the FSB accordingly, i dont want to adjust the multiplier and find that i end up with serious problems

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

okay so i cant change my multiplier, thought as much, so i can change the FSB to 125MHz to get my ram to 333, i got it at 110MHz at the minute and the memory is at 147MHz (294MHz) i'll keep bumping my FSB up and see what i get and make sure things are stable so far so good, i think my CPU will run at something like 3.2GHz if i get the FSB up to 125MHz to bring the ram up.

12. pelvis_3

just looked, the celeron comes in 2 versions- the 400Mhz FSB version and the 533Mhz FSB version!
    Well the memory should be at 166Mhz (333Mhz effectively)!

13. pelvis_3

forgot to mention on my old mobo my RAM was running @ 2.5,3,3,6 even though it was supposed to be 2.5,4,4,7 but i couldnt change them!

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I know that some companies overclock things slightly, but we're talking .1-.5MHz increments. I don't remember MSI being a regular offender, but you might wanna do a Google search and check out some reviews of it. If that's the case, MSI might have a BIOS update to remedy it.

While the FSB:Mem ratio can be adjusted, you won't find one that allows for a 4MHz difference. 1:1, 3:2, 2:3, 5:4 are fairly common when available.

The last possible thing you might run into is that there's some glitch somewhere on the programs, so you might try downloading a new version and/or reinstalling the old one over itself.

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i've now got my FSB at 117MHz so my CPU is at 3.04GHz and the memory is at 156MHz. i'll try and get it up that little bit more to get the memory up, it shouldnt over heat as its not idling much over 30*C at the minute, so i'll just keep edging it up a little bit more. Also if i bump up the speed do i have to adjust the VCore? like adjust the voltage or anything?
    CPU-Z is saying thatthe FSB is 117MHz and the Bus speed is 468MHz (4X the FSB) so pelvis maybe you're right, og well i'll keep trying until i get a faster machine that is still stable.

16. pelvis_3

Thats a pretty good overclock for a celeron!
    The only time vCore is adjusted really is when you cant go any further on the FSB but dont go too high, especially on the vCore!

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i was just wondering really, i dont think i'll touch the vcore. I may try and get it to 3.2GHz to get the memory to 166MHz (DDR333) but we'll see

18. pelvis_3

Well your definately gonna notice a difference!

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

hell yea, i'm noticing it already :)
    EDIT: apologies if we went off topic and got into Overclocking but it did have something to do with the post.

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

This is going to talk about overclocking but it does relate to the RAM situation so it is relevant.
    I have overclocked my CPU From 2.6GHz to 3.12GHz in an attempt to get the memory speed up. I have increased the FSB fron 100MHz to 120MHz and in doing this the memory speed has increased, it still isnt at the full 333MHZ at the minute and i will attempt to get it to that soon as i need to get the FSB to 125MHz (total speed of 3.25GHz) and the temps are still good so i think it should be successful.
    The timings have changed as well, they are now 2.5 4 4 8 instead of 2 3 3 6
    the memory is currently at 160MHz (the equivalent of DDR320) so i have a little way to go, not a lot but i'll try and get there gradually (i dont want to mess things up as i'm not an experienced overclocker and i think a total 650MHz gain in a Celeron would be quite good if i get there...please tell me if it isnt and i can go higher)