Mice Malfuction

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rakashen, Mar 18, 2011.

1. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

I'm still stumped on why the mouse broke on the HP Laptop. The last thing I remember doing was updating the HP laptop through MS Update with the wired mouse plugged in (was using the wired mouse to navigate so it was working for 20 minutes to install 50 updates) . Upon restart, the mouse completely stopped functioning (the wireless mouse wasn't working at all and was unplugged when I was going through the restoration process on the HP Laptop. Going to purchase a mouse in half an hour and see will reply again in 30 minutes or so.

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Review those updates one by one. See if there are any PS/2 or "controller" updates. Good luck mate, write back...

3. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

Scanned by the word controller and I found Initio bus controller update. I'm not sure if your also an expect in Removeable media hardware but I have this external HDD by Simpletech. 1 TB Simpledrive and whenever I plugged it in on the computers I would get it to install as Initio Combo under device manager when it should be a storage device. I'm also saying this cause this controller update says Initio as well and could be a problem...As for the external HDD I don't know how to fix it as well the website has absolutely no drivers to download and I was told to do MS update to see if by the end of the process when I uninstall Initio Combo under device manager and restart computer it would be detected as a storage device.

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Yeah, try and roll that one back (uninstall). Look for it in your Device manager. Should be under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

5. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

Ok, uninstall that update. But look for "it?" you mean the initio combo? The Initio combo thing is under a seperate category for device manager instead of controllers

6. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

If its a Bus Controller, it should be under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" in the Device Manager. If it's not, never mind. Look for that Initio device and uninstall it in the Device Manager. It may also be in your Add/Remove Programs.

7. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

I can't figure out how to uninstall the update though. I found the initio combo in device manager and uninstalled it (thats the external HDD, turned off the HDD and turned it on and it recognized it at initio combo again so I uninstalled again). I looked for the update under add/remove programs, and under installed updates. The update doesnt even have an update number (usually starts with a letter K and characters follow through eg.K5A30a

8. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Hm, Initio combo has to do with a hard drive then i guess... In Device Manager, under "Mice and under pointing devices", double click the item you see. Click on the "driver" tab. Underneath, you should see a "Roll Back Driver" button. If it is enabled (not grayed out), then click it. This means that there was an update to it and we're now restoring it to its previous driver. Try this out with under "Human Interface Devices" as well.

9. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

The thing under mice and pointing devices was "synaptics touchpad", a greyed out selection, 3 things under human interface devices were greyed out as well.

10. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Wow... if you want, give me a screenshot of all the 50 or so recent updates from Windows. Maybe i'll find something.
    Screenshot: press the "Print Screen" button above the number to the right of your keyboard. Go to "Paint" or "Photoshop" and Paste the picture. Save it, and upload it here.

11. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

Just got a new mouse my friend brought over but don't want to plug it in the HP laptop now since that might be a bad idea
    EDIT: plugged the mouse onto my Dell laptop and it works. Now I really don't want to plug this mouse onto the HP Laptop as I'm starting to think whatever mouse that gets plugged in gets the usb connection killed (as awkward as it sounds that is what happened to my logitech mouse...).I'll plug it in when you feel its safe.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      184.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      185.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg