Microsoft will always beat Open Source

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Karanislove, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

lol seriously i cracked up about that one, good one mega

2. Fred

Fred Moderator

About 6 Months ago, I bought a fairly cheap, brand new laptop computer. Because I can't get the wireless to work properly, I ended up putting Windows XP back on it (what it came installed with)... I can already feel a very noticable slowdown and various parts of the OS are not quite functioning properly. And I can promise you that it has nothing to what kind of user I am. It take very good care of the system and it still is going to hell. Maybe some users wouldn't notice the slowdown I've experienced, but I sure do and it's pathetic. It's been said before, and I'll say it again: Windows breaks down naturally over time. I would say it is very much on the contrary with Linux distros. When I DO have problems with Linux, they are very minor, and once I get them fixed, they are fixed.

I am unaware of what experience you have with Linux at this point in your life, but I'm guessing it is next to none. While I agree that finding support from some third party companies is an absolute nightmare, your wording indicates that it is a nightmare from all companies. Just because ATI takes a steaming dump and packages it for linux, doesn't mean all companies do. Nvidia takes very good care of their linux customers. And in most cases, in place of companies that do not personally take care of their linux customers are several hundred hardworking open-source programmers developing a very cleverly programmed replacement. I dont know about you, but I dont think I have ever installed Windows and had every single driver installed and working by the time I finished the installation. It is rare that I install Linux and can't boot to X or [this next one happens to me all the time in Windows] my NIC doesn't work when I boot up and yet I'm expected to go download the driver to get it installed (cruel irony), or my sound doesn't work. Even most [decent brand] printers work right out of the box in linux.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything [at all], but I think that's a weak excuse. I think people confuse good graphics and great gameplay. I dont know what kind of games you play that dont work in Linux through Cedega, but most of the games out nowadays are complete garbage (not all, but most- ie: HL1 vs HL2; FF1, 2, 3, etc vs FFXI) and most older games run perfect either through cedega or DOS emulators.

Couldn't agree more! :-P Actually, a lot of open-source games in the repos are very good (even the rip-offs)...

But even after everything I said, I completely agree with Addis: If you really are that obsessed with the new releases, then Linux really isn't what you're looking for. Although, you could try dual-booting :-D

AT convinced me a few years back to install Linux while I was building a computer for a [ex]girlfriend. My computer was Athlon XP 3500 with 512mb [I think] of RAM, and a ATI Radeon 9800pro, and Windows 2000pro; And I just build for her an Athlon XP 2800 with 512mb RAM, and a nVidia 5700(?) with Mandrake 10.0[?](Which AT had convinced me to install for her). We had both of the computers running Enemy Territory and hers getting WAY WAY better framerates. It wasn't much later that we sold my 9800pro (to sniper :rolleyes: ) There was definetly a learning curve, and I was very fortunate to have AT living a few miles away when I needed him to fix my computer when I had no clue (ie: most of the time) but I've come a long way and the journey has been very much worth it. Enough that I've decided to go to college for and pursue a job as a Unix admin anyway.

Now that I've said my piece, I quote Addis [The King],

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

No Fred your definetly right for sure. Escpcially about windows decaying, which is really annoying and stupid, plus it makes no sense at all. I've gotten lucky over the last couple years and on the family computer i haven't had to re-install windows. But yes it definetly breaks down over time, i read somewhere that XP should be re-installed every year at least

4. Addis

Addis The King

My laptop runs XP Pro, and its unbelievable. I leave uTorrent running overnight for some downloads, by the morning its slowed to a complete crawl. I close uTorrent incase its a memory leak causing the slowdown but still nothing. It seems when theres heavy network activity or its left on for too long, the only way to speed it up is to reboot it. Very frustrating.

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, i know it