Mis sold RAM?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by daisycutter, Jun 17, 2006.

1. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

hi guys,

i was looking at CPU-Z the other day when under the SPD heading it said "max bandwidth: PC3200 (200Mhz)". the Ram i had bought was "CRUCIAL 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 184-PIN UNBUFF 128MX64 Memory Modules", which i assumed ran at 400 MHz. so should CPU-Z have reported max bandwidth: PC3200 (400Mhz), or i am wrong?

I currently have 2 sticks of this ram running in dual channel mode if that makes any differance.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

yea its right, DDR ram stands for Double Date Range i think, what happens is that the actual speed is x2, so its 200mhz x 2 which is infact 400mhz. like on graphics card, on mine i have 560mhz ram, which runs at 1.12GHZ, becouse its DDR type ram. Dual Channel doesent change the speed, just gives you more bandwith

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:eek:fftopic: i thought it was Double Data Rate lol

4. Willz

yea lol, i always get it wrong, i am glad it gets corrected, one day it will sink in :p
    thanks for correcting me:).

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

don't worry about it mate

i won't call you a thick :swear:, :swear:, i just did, sorry

6. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

thanks guys for clearing that up for me. guess i wont be having to return stuff to ebuyer (again.... monitor, power lead, keyboard all in one order)! Do you know what is the fastest type (or best type) of ram i can install if it says on the motherboard "DDR400 supported." Mobos a gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 . Cheers.

7. Willz

pc3200 is DDR400, its prob the best memory you can have, but you can get high performance DDR memory that has really low timings etc.. but its costly.