MoBO- MSI Neo2-LS [VS.] Gigabyte GA-8IK1100

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by navi, Jun 20, 2003.

1. navi

navi Guest

I have decided to make the switch from AMD to Intel and I am trying to figure out which motherboard I should go with. I've narrowed it down to two that I think are the best performance for cost. I checked out toms hardware, but am still hesitant. I would like to stay away from Asus, due to my last two boards have little problems.

1. Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 865PE
    This is a good deal I think at $99

2. Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 Intel 875P
    This seems solid with the newer chipset and I've heard good things about Gigabyte

I'm getting a 2.4C with 800FSB and have 512 DDR 2700 for it.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    THANKS

2. zeus

zeus out of date

I couldnt comment on the board but Id get some ddr400.

In the UK you can get 512mb of Geil PC3500, its not a wel known make but good especially at £100 for 2x256.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Gigabyte board uses the i875P chipset wheras the MSI uses the i865PE chipset. The i875 is faster, and thus more expensive. You might actually want to check out the Abit IS7 or Asus P4B800 as both have BIOS's that enable some extra performance, making them an excellent deal for around $100 each---both are 865 boards and both---with the newest BIOS's---surpass the performance of the 875 boards that cost nearly double what these boards do.

The PC3200 is not a bad thing to go for (DDR400) either since you'll be able to make the most out of the board's capabilities.

I should say that I've not been able to play with any of these boards, but they all come from companies I'm pretty confident with. If you're into overclocking, you'll probably want to look at Abit or Asus.

Of course with these boards, make sure to get 2 sticks of DDR--which zeus hinted at.