My PSU decent/needs upgrade

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by mut, Oct 22, 2006.

1. mut

mut Geek Trainee

Is my PSU decent or does it need upgrading, I dont know the brand: Chieftec and I dont want my PSU blowing up and taking my components with it.

It's powering the following:

Pentium D 805 @ 3.7Ghz
    1GB DDR2-667 RAM
    ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe
    NVIDIA 6600GT 256MB GDDR3
    250GB SATA HDD

My PSU specs are as follows:

PSU: Chieftec 450W
    +5V - 28A
    +3.3V - 30A
    +12V1 - 14A
    +12V2 - 15A
    -12V - 0.5A
    -5Vsb - 2A

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i've never heard of that brand either, so, i wouldn't like to comment on it, if the PSU is a generic PSU (came with your computers case then its probably not good although the specs seem ok but if i were you i'd be a lot happier with a PSU i know is good (like an Antec TP 2) check out Big B's PSU Sticky you will find it usefull

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

From what I can gather, it's an average PSU. It's nothing spectacular, but on the flip-side, it's not something like an Ultra X-Connect. If things are working fine, I'd leave it alone. However, if you upgrade your CPU and/or video card, you probably want to jump to something a little more heavy duty. Most PSU's are rebadged units made by a one company. I'll have to do some research, but a lot of companies take a power supply from a certain company, rebadge it and sell it as their own. You may have noticed I've added XClio units to the list. They're basically the same PSU's that Antec has, which are made by ChannelWell Technology. From what I understand, Chieftech PSU's are made by Wintech, which were the base of the early Ultra X-Connects. The X-Connects went south when Ultra switched to Youngyear models, which had poor soldering jobs among other issues.

Once I'm able to corroborate some info, I'll add some of this info in the PSU Sticky.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Chieftec have been around for years, but like Big B said its probably a rebadged PSU from someone else.
    Chieftec make cases.
    Welcome to Chieftec - Entry Level Case Family
    Heres my one!

5. mut

mut Geek Trainee

Thanks for the help. I think ill stick with this one untill i really need to upgrade.