My SuSe Linux Help Page!!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by megamaced, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

The best knowledge comes with experience, I've found that reading a book the subject and actually trying it for yourself is entirely different. I seem to remember things better if I try it for myself, rather than "imagine" how I would adminstrate a windows server 2003 server.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Such a book is a good start, because Linux is a free Unix clone which is fundamentally the same design. However, there are some nuances that are unique to each platform. In fact, Linux is considered a very user-friendly Unix. I guess my point is that it's very good to study Unix directly and there is a lot you can apply to Linux as well. But also be aware that Linux and traditional Unices will differ slightly on certain concepts.

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I can agree with that to a certain extent. But you need to start somewhere, and a book is a good place for information.
    As you are aware, I have a copy of SuSE Linux installed. Therefore I am able to try out for myself what I learn from the book. This way I am more likely to remember (and make use of) what I learn.
    Obviously you are going to learn a lot more by becoming an Administrator, and using Linux/Windows in real-world scenarios. But you don't get to be an Administrator in the first place without some working knowledge - which you get from reading books.

4. Anti-Trend

Yes you're right megamaced, doing and learning simultaneously is definately the best method. Besides, if you have the book learning under your belt, you learn from situations in the field much easier and more thoroughly.

5. megamaced

I know a bit more about the laptop I am getting off eBay. It's either a Pentium 2 233Mhz, 266MHz or 300MHz. It will have 32MB (onboard) plus I am going to add 64MB (so 96MB in total)

I bought this little laptop solely for Linux use :) I wanted to find the official minimum & recommended system requirements for KDE, GNOME & XFCE. I can't seem to find any information though!

Do you know what the official system requirements are for these GUIs?

6. Anti-Trend

Keep in mind that you're not running the OS just for the GUI, you want to run apps too, right? Well they all take RAM, so you want to actually have some left over from the GUI to actually run your programs. That being said, I wouldn't run KDE with any less than 256mb RAM, or Gnome with any less than 320. Actually you can run both KDE and Gnome on 128mb RAM, but it's kinda nasty, and I don't advise it. Xfce will run comfortably on 64mb or more. Less than 64mb and you need to start looking at the likes of a lite desktop like WM, Fluxbox, IceWM, Sawfish, Twm, etc.

7. megamaced

As helpful as ever :good:

What I would really like is a decent CD ripper. There are a few preinstalled with SuSE (I can't remember there names, but I think they are the default KDE ones) but they can't cut it. I can't find any options to change the bit rate.

I would like a CD-Ripper that can rip to MP3 and doesn't need to create a WAV file first. All of the rippers I've used on Linux seem to create the WAV file, and then encode it. This process is extremely time consuming!

8. Anti-Trend

In KDE 3.4 and greater, ripping CD is amazingly intuitive. Simply use the 'Devices' dialog, or enter the URL device:/ in Konqueror.
    [​IMG]
    When you browse an audio CD through the devices dialog, you will see the entire thing as pre-encoded in several formats: CDA, FLAC, MP3, OGG, and WAV. You can even extract the CDDB information seperately, or copy the whole disc as a single encoded file in the format of your choice! And the best part, even your grandma can do it. It's just like copying the multimedia files as if they were already encoded, except they encode automatically on-the-fly as you 'copy' them. Excellent.

Of course, if you want a more traditional ripper application, check out Grip.

9. megamaced

I noticed those folders on the CD. I was wondering why they were there. SuSE Linux puts all my hard disks & CD-ROMs under media:/

I installed GRIP of the SuSE DVD last night. While I think it's much better then Kaudiocreator, It still creates a temporary WAV file before encoding to MP3. This takes ages to complete - about 5 minutes per song :rolleyes:

Will it encode straight to MP3, or create a temporary WAV file before encoding?

10. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

WOW! This sounds awsom!!!!! I will check it out when I get home. I cannot beleive it is that simple.... I wish I had a grandma to show me..... :)

I have to say I did not find Kaudiocreator very good either.
    I cannot remember what I have used eventualy. What ever it is I think you might have to manipulate some of the Lame settings to get the right results. I will try and post later exactly what program I have been using and the settings.
    As for WAV files. I do not know that there is another way. I have used a number of rippers untill now and I have never heard of on the fly MP3 encoding. As far as I understand, the computer needs to convert the stream from your disk to a recognisable stream (WAV in this case which is the form which 'looses' as little as possible quality if at all). It then can start the compression. 5 minutes sounds exssessive. Ripping to WAV should take about 10 seconds and encoding about 30-40 absoulte MAX (EAC - under windows...). 5 minutes sounds way off the scale...

I haven't seen your specs before I replied so I cannot comment. The times above are with P4 3GH and 512MB RAM.

11. megamaced

Take Realplayer for Windows, for example. It rips MP3's straight off the CD without creating a WAV file. This process is a lot quicker - about 1 minute maximum per track

My computer probably has a little to do with the poor speed! I am running a P3 ~700MHz (OC ~784MHz) + 384MB SDRAM :)

Oops, forgot to ask you this in my last post...

If I rip CDs using this method, at what stage do I enter track information such as ID tags and file names. Remember, I don't have the internet, so I can't download CDDB information.

12. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I am embarassed..... Did I write this?
    Sorry... I got mixed up with another program.
    It is what I use but although the MP3 (lame) setting do need some tweaking, I found it more than adequet for my needs. (lame settings as they apear in the KAC lame configuration:
    lame -b 320 --tn %{number} --tt %{title} --ta %{artist} %f %o )

I did a bit of an experiment using David Gray - Life in Slow Motion (10 tracks, total time = app. 45 min.)
    Konqueror:
    1. Start to finish (cda to mp3) - 14 min (copying was done across two seperated drives...)
    2. Settings? - Not sure yet.... Maybe grandma can tell me.... :)
    3. Bitrate - 32 kbps (If it is actualy the bitrate it is very poor. However it sounded fine played via Amrok).

KAudioCreator:
    1. Start to finish - 9 min
    2. Settings - fairly easy and straight forward. A quick look in lame (lame --help) will give you most of what you need for a simple encoding.
    3. Bitrate - 320 kpbs.

Unless I find the settings for Konqueror, I would stick with KAC.
    Saying all this, I just canot beleive there is such a thing build into a file/web browser. :cool: :cool:

Will edit later with result from EAC under windows......

[ot]EAC (windows):
    Time - tad over 7 minutes
    Settings - tweaking but very easy
    bitrate - 320 kbps
    [/ot]

This is by no means to show that Windows is better when encoding audio.
    This is just a sad experiment as there was nothing better on TV.... :confused:

When you are using Konqueror all the info (tags) is already there.

13. megamaced

I couldn't find the lame settings in Kaudiocreator! I wanted to change the MP3 bitrate, and I couldn't work out how! Can you tell me where I need to go to do this? Do I have to enter something in the terminal?

Each to their own :D Only joking!

I think the settings for Konqueror CD ripping are as follows:

Click on the GO file menu > Control panel (settings) > Sounds and Multimedia > CD Audio > MP3 (encoding) tab. You can change the mp3 settings within this tab

I totally agree with you! This is a really neat feature :)

[ot]
    Whats EAC? .....Theres never anything good on TV these days!
    Big Brother? No thankyou :) [/ot]

You need to have an internet connection to retrieve the CDDB information, which I don't have unfortunately :(

14. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

I will post images when I am home. Obviously you will need lame installed.
    I am not sure how you are getting the latest version as you are not connected to the net.... :eek:hah:

[ot]
    David Gray is a living GOD!!![/ot]

Thanks for the tip regarding the MP3 settings for Konqueror. will give it a go laters.

EAC is, to date, the best ripper/encoder I have seen. It is fast easy and produces brilliant results. It is very versetile but unfortunately as far as I know it has not got a Linux version.
    But to be fair it is essentialy just a frontend for a number of popular encoders.
    If you can be bovered, lame can be worked very efficiantly through command line which will save you some memory (running GUI) and also some space.

Just a thought....

15. megamaced

I buy Linux Magazine, available in all good British newsagents http://www.linux-magazine.com/ :) Every month they give away a Linux distro DVD on the front cover! This month it's Ubuntu 5.10, last month was SuSE Linux 10, and the month before was Mandriva 2006 (which I bloody missed :x: ). When a new version of SuSE arrives, I will buy the magazine and simply upgrade my current edition.

As for Lame, I just went to an internet cafe and downloaded the RPM file, then saved it to a USB flash drive :)

Can't wait :)

16. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Please see attached the screen shots of my KAC:

I hope these are in the right order....
    1st is the main screen. Just click on Settings.
    2nd is the settings screen with the encoder option showing.
    3rd is the actual encoder adding dialogue box.

Just follow the example.
    I added the following string to the command line:

lame -b 320 --tn %{number} --tt %{title} --ta %{artist} %f %o

This will create a file which is 320 Kbps CBR and will tag it - x. title - artist.
    However, Lame has a vast amount of filters and manipulations which a humble user might never even conceder....

Please post any further questions and I will do my best to answer... :cool:

Attached Files:

17. megamaced

Yes i've seen that before, but I didn't realise that's where you entered the bit-rate information!

How would I manipulate that, so it encodes a constant 192Kb/s and names the files and folders as such:

Favourite Artist/Favourite Album/01 - Good song.mp3

18. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

It is farely simple.
    Where you see that I have entred 320 just change to 192 or 160 or XXX.

basicaly the flag -b forces a CBR. The rest of the line i.e. --tn %{number}
    means track number = enter number of track and so forth.

As for the directories - this will be determined by the wizard which is in the encoder configuration main screen (second image I think). Click on the wizard button and try and understand the way the wizard works. It took me a few trials and errors before I got it properly but it is logical. You can follow the example and basicaly save it anywhere by entering the right path.

Default is home i.e. ~/ %{bla}/%{bla} and so forth...

It took me around 15 minutes to work out. For you not more than 5.... ;)
    Grandma will know already... hehe :confused:

When you have installed lame. Spend a few minutes learning some essential tags by running 'lame --help' in terminal.
    It really helps and the very basic commands do not take very long to master.

19. megamaced

Thanks for the tip Mega Tosher :good: [ot] What IS a Mega Tosher? :) [/ot]

Okay next question :)

I want to set up Antivirus software on my computer. I know it's not really needed a) because there are few Linux viruses b) Because my Linux computer isn't attached to any Window's clients and c) because I don't have the internet anyway :) But I want to get some experience with setting one up anyway.

My installation DVD comes with AntiVir for Linux. I checked the box to install it with the operating system, but I can't get it to work! It doesn't show up on the K Start Menu, and it won't launch from any of the /bin folders :confused: I was just wondering whether I have installed it properly, or if there is a command line I need to run first? Also, is AntiVir a good choice for Linux because the Windows version is pretty naff :)

20. Anti-Trend

That program is, surprise surprise, meant to run on a server. It is a CLI-only application with no GUI, primarily because you can write scripts to automate it that way (plus not many servers run a GUI - that would just be silly).