need an explanation for this power supply issue

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by burgerman, Dec 12, 2008.

1. burgerman

burgerman Geek Trainee

I occasionally get people ring me up saying that their pc is completely dead, and when i go to their house i notice that yes, their pc is cpompletely dead.

but sometimes its not a dead power supply. sometimes I can unplug the power cable from the back of the PSU and replug it in and it starts again and works forever after.

The other day i had the same issue but this time i needed to open up the case and unplug and replug the power supply plug that goes into the motherboard. then it wouldl work.

I am just wondering if anybody can sort of provide an explanation for why this happens - I'm not after a fix because unplug/replug has fixed it. I need to understand why this happens sometimes

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have seen this happen before, Most of the time it is cause by a Power Surge or a lightning strike near by...But most are power surges...

3. sarathemlr

sarathemlr Geek Trainee

The best possible solution is replace the power supply with a compatible one. This way u can fix the problem. Don't run system with a bad power supply as it can damage other hardware and your private data.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

this is probably due to an "unclean" supply of electricity that is probably caused by a power surge as Ghosty said, but an unclean supply can easily be created by other appliances receiving power from the same circuit as the computer e.g. refrigerators & photocopiers & stuff