Need help with burning dvd's

Discussion in 'General Software' started by DwnSthGaBoyz, Mar 24, 2004.

1. DwnSthGaBoyz

DwnSthGaBoyz Geek Trainee

I've decided i want to start burning dvd's and i have a basic dvd burning program that lets me burn off my cdrw and i tryed to burn one but my movie( Lord of the Rings: Return of the King) is a 7 Gig movie and the max that the dvd-rw's holds is 4.7. How can i get the movie onto the disk? someone told me to put it on 2 disk but i dont know how to do that. is there an easy way to put it all on one without buying $8,000 software or how do i put it onto 2 disk by splitting the movie? id really appreciate it, and ill send you some movies if you can help me out... thx a bunch!!! :good:

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Basically, until the dual-layer DVD-R's drives become standard, there are two main ways to go about burning 7gb DVDs. You can re-encode the DVD into a lower resolution & lower bitrate copy, excluding all the 'extras' and alternative audio tracks. Then burn to a single DVD-R. This method is fairly time-consuming, since you have to re-encode the entire movie. The other method is to span the contents of the DVD in their original state onto 2 DVD-Rs. This requires special software. Unfortuantely, I can't recommend any because I don't own a DVD-RW... (I'm waiting on the dual-layer DVD-RWs :)).

3. DwnSthGaBoyz

i take it that the dual layered dvdr's can hold twice as much right? well hopefully they come out soon because i really want to start burning dvd's. Right now i have a whole case load of movies that are out in the theaters on dvd like: Lord of the rings, dawn of the dead, spiderman 2 soon, passion of the christ and tons more..... someone i know can get them for me and its cool to be able to get them for free too. i geuss ill stick to burning mini movies for now until then. hey, say i want to burn like, a tv series onto dvd, can i burn it stright to dvd and watch it or do i have to re-encode that also? or can i straight watch it on the dvd player?

4. Anti-Trend

Well, you don't have to re-encode a TV series to be able to watch it in a DVD player... you just have to capture it in DVD-spec bitrate MPEG2 in the first place, then burn it using good DVD burning software. Assuming your DVD player can play DVD-Rs (some don't), you should be able to watch them just fine.

5. DwnSthGaBoyz

cool, i geuss ill wait for the dvd-rw's to have more room till i start burning movies. It's weird though how the guy i get them from can fit them onto one single dvdr. Ill call nim and see if theres a special connection he has, and if he knows then ill keep you updated on whats up,cool? later

6. Anti-Trend

It actually the first method I mentioned -- the ol' rip & re-encode method. There's actually software that does both automatically, but the best of it isn't free. And even with top-notch software the process takes some time.