Network Power On

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by athomas, Aug 19, 2009.

1. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

Is there a way to power a PC on via some sort of network command or something? I've heard it can be done, but I don't know where to begin. I can provide any info you need for the PC in question.

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

To start off, I have never done it myself, but I know what you're reffering to.

First, check out this site.

Second (if you want to use some remote desktop utility or something), check out the features of your motherboard in the BIOS settings. There should be an option called something like "power on LAN" "Wake on LAN" or anything similar. That function may very well be switched off by default as that's a potential security risk. If it's there, you will certainly be able to find some references to where you can get more info on that in the motherboard handbook or something.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The network adapter needs to support WOL in order for this feature to work. If it's integrated on the motherboard, it may need to be enabled in the BIOS, assuming WOL is supported. If it's a PCI NIC, there is typically a small braided WOL cable needed to connect the NIC to the motherboard.