New all-round rig

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Aankhen, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Tango Down

Tango Down Geek Trainee

Really if you are not overclocking anything and have a case fan or two, nothing should be overheating.... Are you using a a case with everything cramped together? Try running a CPU burn in and see if that causes your computer to reset. Memtest 86 will tell you if the ram is the problem. Otherwise it is likely your GPU with the problem. I have a passively cooled 7600GT, and it seems to work for over 3 week stretches without complaint. I always leave my computer on, and have never had any problems with overheating as of yet. Anywho, the quick and dirty way to solve your problem is to take of the side panel and put a box fan next to it:) If that dose not work and it is certainly your GPU that is the problem, it is likely a manufacturing fault, get your money back and buy an actively cooled version.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I had lots of resets once aswell, was also because of not overclocking my cpu properly, but i dont think he has overclocked his cpu, i find that no case fan right at the side of my GPU thats blowing air onto it causes the GPU to overheat, at the bottom rear side of my case i have 2 fans blowing onto GPU, CPU, and 1 rear sucking out, the 1 at the front thats supposed to suck in is turned off because i get really annoyed at the loudness of it.

With the current hassle he has had with his ram, it wouldent be surprising if it were his ram.

3. Aankhen

Aankhen Geek Trainee

Mine is running at stock speeds.
    You were right! I just tried running Memtest86 and it crashed after half an hour. Looks like I'll need to RMA it tomorrow, once I narrow down which stick/bank it is (or whether it's all the sticks/banks). My only concern now is whether the RAM itself is bad or the connectors on the chipset are faulty.

4. Willz

Glad you found the problem :)

Do memtest again, but just run it with one of the sticks of ram in then put the other one in and do memtest on that one, i dont think it will be the actual slots on the motherboard, most likely to be the ram.

5. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

it shouldnt really be the graphics cared coz they have a threshold of around 130*C but 80 isnt a very good temp to be at. u would ideally want to keep it around 70*C load.

6. Willz

It was his ram. But i know from my graphics card, that mine doesent like been above 85 degrees or i get:
    -Resets
    -Artifacts
    -VPU Reset
    *All Due To Overheating.

7. Aankhen

Aankhen Geek Trainee

Since this card is passively cooled, it has pretty high average temperatures. If you look at, for example, the nV News, HardOCP or Guru3D reviews, you'll see that it hits fairly high temperatures, though usually not as high as the Radeon X1900XT.

8. Aankhen

Aankhen Geek Trainee

I sent in my memory to be RMA'd, using a 1 GB Comstar DDR2-533 module in the mean time. I finally managed to complete all four tutorials in Company of Heroes (took about 45 minutes), whereas previously, it would persistently crash halfway through any tutorial I tried. :D