New Graphics Card ??

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Trufflees, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Trufflees

Trufflees Geek Trainee

Having found out my 6600 is no longer working, thanks to all the help I got from people on here but the card is f@#ked, wandering what card should I consider buying. Will be playing games like BF2, cod2 etc. Would like a card that will last for a while and my budget is around bout £120 would like to stick to that fairly closely and it has to be AGP.I was thinking Gainward 6600GT 256MB Ultra . Any other ideas ?? Thanks

Hiper 525 watt psu
    Foxconn 760GXK8MC-S SKT 754
    AMD 3000+ 64bit CPU
    LG GDR-8164BL 16x52 DVD-ROM
    Western Digital WD2500JD 250GB
    AG Neovo F417 17" TFT
    2x 1GB PC3200 400MHz 184Pin DDR RAM DIMM 2.5V 3.2Gb/Sec (novatech)

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Get somthing like the X850XT or X800GTO2 which can be overclocked and unlocked so is just as good as an X800XT PE.

or maybe go for the 7800GS

Here is AGP selection on Overclockers.co.uk, these are nvidia cards, and look, for £211 you can get a 7800GS and they perform well better than a 6600GT

I would reccomend looking for an x800xt or x850xt pe, the x850xt pe is the best AGP card out and can be found for under £200 :good:

3. Trufflees

Trufflees Geek Trainee

Yeah had a look but think they slightly outta budget, although reading various comparisons the 7800gs kills the 6600 gt. But can't justify double the price, for not double the performance and for a technology (AGP) that is being phased out. Will wait till I upgrade to PCI Exp. b4 forking out the big dollars, and will probably be buying a 6600gt as adequate for my requirements and is bang on budget, but thanks anyway will bear this in mind;)

4. Willz

How much are you paying for a new 6600GT?

on ebuyer.co.uk you can find an X850PRO for £135

ebuyer.com - X850XT << X850XT for £130!! oh sorry, its PCI-E just noticed.

5. Trufflees

Trufflees Geek Trainee

I paying £128 for XFX 6600GT 256mb bit over budget but the best card for the money I think. Thats the problem the PCI express seem to be a bit cheaper, and theres more choice than the AGP counterparts around my price range. Above the 6600GT, in the Nvida range anyway, the next decent card is priced at around £200. Have had ATI for years and just fancy a change to nvida as heard they are on the whole more stable in terms of driver support, and liked the look of 6600gt, will have to see though, nice one for the link even though u realised half way through it was useless, the thought that counts.:eek:

6. Willz

for £7 extra i think you should get the X850PRO, its alot better than a 6600GT, and it also has 16pixel pipelines i belive.

7. LORD

LORD Geek Trainee

Trufflees, the 6600GT is really the minimum you need with your setup (similar to mine) for BF2. I run BF2 at 1280 x 1024 and it needs low detail to play MP smoothly. I ran the COD2 demo which was playable but when the detail was ramped up it did start to stutter and lag when things got busy. I would really recommend considering the 7800GS, which I know is out of budget but on the other hand it should last at least 12-18 months (at a guess) before you need to upgrade again.

Another card worth considering is the X800 GTO which seems to be a little quicker than the 6600GT and is well within budget. I dont usually use ATI cards so any other input would be worthwhile. Ebuyer has this at £103.95 :-

ebuyer.com - Components » Graphics Cards » ATI Radeon 9800/x800 » Product details

8. Willz

i doubt a 7800GS will last another 12-18months becouse of direct x 10 and windows vista is coming in less than 12 months, and also, most modern games wont run smooth at max settings with that card, my x800xt pe runs most modern games smooth at max settings, but not oblivion and F.E.A.R etc.., and 7800GS aint that much better.

X850XT PE is best AGP card out at moment, better than a 7800GS exept x8xx series dont have SM 3.0 so cant have HDR in games like oblivion.

7800GS aint worth its money, but considering the x850pro is under £140 its worth it, if you can find an x850xt pe for that, then its gr8, but any of these cards would only last about 8-10months i would say.

9. Trufflees

Trufflees Geek Trainee

rite then, having read what you have written and reading other benchmarks I mite cancel my order for the 6600gt and fork out a little more for either the 7800gs or x850xt pe, but I think the latter are quite rare and as a result more expensive ?? Will have to scout around for the best price, obviously the x850xtpe is first choice but this and 7800GS big money for 6-8 months useability so x850 pro might be new option.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

[ot]
    Willz - Overclockers UK AGP That card is surely better than an X850XT PE - it's got 24 Pipelines and awesome Memory, surely an X850XT PE cannot beat that - plus it's got SM 3.0.
    Just thought I'd say that as you were claiming an X850XT PE is the best AGP Card out.
    I guess you'd have to look at reviews but I can't find any good ones...
    [/ot]

11. Trufflees

Trufflees Geek Trainee

That would be an ace card but like double my budget though. Was wandering about the leadtek 7800GS on Overclockers would that be any good ?? Or perhaps this BFG

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah In my last post I wasn't suggesting it as I knew it was too expensive, I was just making a point about it possibly being better than the X850XT PE that Willz was claiming is the best AGP card.

13. Trufflees

Trufflees Geek Trainee

Yeah I know but found a 7800Gs for £190 which seems to kick ass, read a PCI-E review of it and it said it was as good as the other 7800gs's and should offer good overclocking potential, so mite put my eggs in that basket, unless there is a reason not to ??

14. Willz

get the 7800GS if you really want it
    7800GS vs. x850 XT PE = TIE

Check that out, benchmark showing X850XT PE beating the 7800GS or drawing with it, people saying its about on par with the X850XT PE.

looks like a bunch of mixed thoughts, i havent read it properly though.

15. Trufflees

Trufflees Geek Trainee

Yeah thanks guys ordered a 7800gs, for sub £200, thanks for all help, will let u know how good, or not, it is.

16. Trufflees

Trufflees Geek Trainee

7800Gs is awesome, but one querey when trying to oc using coolbits it says that my unclocked core frequency is 275mhz and mem clock is 600mhz, that seems low, it states on club3d website that mem clocl should be 1200 ?? should I be doubling my 600??:rolleyes: and that core freq is 375 ???

17. Willz

your proberbly in 2D mode, when in 2D mode your core clock is lowered. And yes you should be doubling 600.

18. Trufflees

Trufflees Geek Trainee

No don't think so, it said 3d performance mode, not 2d mode?? when ocing i went to manual overclocking and then detect optimal frequencies then i got core clock of 348mhz and mem clock of 730mhz, have lowered them a bit to help eliminate artefacts, but dont really know what i doin, is that right ??:O

19. Willz

clock speed for the core on a 7800GS is 375MHZ for the Club3D 7800GS from what i heard, and you should even be able to overclock the card abit on the core after 375MHZ, i thought 7800GS had core clocks same as 7800GT or GTX or somthing which are in the 400+mhz range, 375mhz seems low, but seems to be the correct clock.

i think the correct memory clock is either 600MHz or 650MHz depending which one you get.
    i think your memory runs at 1200mhz (600mhz)

20. Trufflees

Trufflees Geek Trainee

yeah its wierd not sure whats goin on really, because thats what I read on their website yet even with the card oc'd to optimum settings it doesnt reach that 375 clock core speed, which should be the standard speed ???:confused: