New homepage, opinions please

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by Anti-Trend, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hey,

Just redid my homepage to look a little nicer, contain more info in one place, and now I'm hosting tons of free Linux literature. Please take a quick glance and let me know what you think:

http://anti-trend.homelinux.org

If you find any of the content helpful, feel free to bookmark me.

-AT

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Very nice. I like it :good:

3. Anti-Trend

Thanks, but does it render right in IE? I don't have any Windows machines to test it with.

4. pelvis_3

Yep, it renders exactly the same and loads just as quick.

5. Anti-Trend

Good to hear, thank you very much. My HTML looks good in a text editor, but experience has shown me that doesn't mean IE will render it sanely. :p

6. pelvis_3

I do like your 'About This Server link' , i'd like to see that on more websites.
    P.S - Your HTML code layout is excellent :cool:

7. Anti-Trend

Thanks, it's just a simple little BASH script; the server updates that info hourly.

8. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

looks pure and simple :)

[ot]I forgot which thread it was, but you were looking for someone to host the mandriva docs? we could host it on our server without any probs.[/ot]

9. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Very nice AT. The image of the web browser in top left hand corner is that IE?

10. Addis

Addis The King

Nice AT, now how come my pages don't look like that with only tables...

11. Anti-Trend

Heh, good eye! Yeah, it probably is, as I stole that webart from a template or someplace. I may replace that with something else in the future, but I'm not very artsy! If somebody with more artistic skill than me wants to make some new header art in the same dimensions and color scheme to replace the old one, I will sport it proudly. :D

12. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Looks great, very nice site there

the links to the right under hosted literature are somewhat difficult for me to read quickly

13. Anti-Trend

Yeah, nice criticism. I was just thinking the same thing, I will make it darker in the CSS config.

14. Fred

Fred Moderator

Really impressive! I didn't realize you were up to all that. Professional and classy and all that good stuff.

15. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Very nice site, Anti-Trend. Professional looking, works perfectly using IE, and good use of links. Good quote too. If ever I have any questions about Linux, I'll refer to your site (I have hundreds of questions...Linux is a mystery to me).

16. Anti-Trend

OK, redid the banner so it bares Firefox instead of IE, happy now? ;)

17. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Here is my input which is purely from a surfer point of view:

[ot]The image is firefox - IE does not use Bookmarks but Favourites...[/ot]

The general feel is very professional. Nice touch there as your are clearly one.
    I like the fact that the arrow changes to a hand but personaly I would have liked to see the link change colour as well. Again just personal prefrence...

I think that 'Groupware login' and 'about this server' pages should carry the theme of the main page. Personaly I would keep the header as is as I think it is unique and simplistic as I am assuming you would like to come across - pure, clean - Anti-Trend, in other words, in cotrast to all the singing and dancing other sites.

I think you did very well. I wish I had the time to devote to site building... or the artistic ability....

18. Anti-Trend

[ot]
    Nic was right, it was a picture of IE before, because I scavenged the art out of an OOo gallery or someplace. :p I realized the apparent hypocrisy in this, but I figured nobody would notice or care. When she pointed it out, I worked up a little replacement art in GIMP... so you're right, it is Firefox (now). ;)[/ot]
    I didn't want to use any Java, which is why I steered clear of dropdown menus and the like. The reason your cursor changes into a little hand is because it is floating above a web link, a feature of your OS not my page. :) Changing the color of the link or any other formatting change when the mouse hovers above it would be implemented in Java (or Flash, but we won't go there).
    Ahh yes, I haven't redone my groupware server yet. What you see with the ugly marble background is the thing's default motif. I am planning on redoing it with an art and color scheme which better matches my homepage... eventually. ;) As for the 'about this server', it's not even a web page but a text document that my server overwrites hourly. I suppose I could setup the whole thing in HTML, but it's more trouble than I want to think about right now, especially since the server info basically serves no real functional purpose anyway :) Maybe if I have a sleepless night, I will devote it to HTML encoding that page.
    Thanks for your criticisms and your kind words alike. Web design is not my forte at all, and I don't have much artistic ability to create. I do much better working with people more creative than myself, improving existing work.

19. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Very Nice!

What did you use to write the html? did you *write* the html or was it generated thru a GUI? your html is an artwork! (the source!)

My HTML is terrible, and mixed with spelling mistakes :( [its on my profile if you really wana see it]. but i was writing it in notepad (@ school in my spare time) so its allowed to be **** :D (coz i cant reli write html)

Whats your bandwidth like? (ADSL, T1 etc)

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Very sleek page there AT, yeah my HTML is bad, partly because I used Frontpage to do it but I hate it, I may just change it soon. I've done it in notepad before but that can get tedious, very very tedious...:eek:hah: