New Li-ion battery recharges 80% capacity in 60 seconds

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Toshiba’s new NanoBattery might lead to a revolution

One of the biggest limitations in the mobile world is the capabilities (or the lack of it) of the batteries which power the devices to last longer without recharges. However, limitations posed by the present generation of batteries might have restricted the mobile manufacturers to reach the heights that could have been achieved.

Nonetheless, the latest developments from the tech giant Toshiba Corporation might result in a total transformation of this industry. Their latest announcement is about a new lithium-ion battery, which could make long recharge times of the batteries a thing of the past. Impressively, these new batteries attain a charge of around 80% capacity after just 1 minute of recharging.

This recharge capability is around 60 times faster than traditional batteries. In addition, it also enhances the energy density of the cells using the Toshiba’s advancements in nano-material technology for the electric devices. Interestingly, the battery also comes with impressive long life cycle. As per test results, it loses only a minute fraction of the capacity even after thousands of recharges and discharges. In addition, the batteries have performed well at extremely low temperatures.

Toshiba plans to bring these batteries into production next year. During the initial days, they would be serving the automotive and industrial sectors where they could be implemented to power hybrid electric vehicles.

This would be really cool to use in laptops, use use use use then recharge for 5 minutes and use again!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That'd be an awesome technology for electric cars too. The biggest to fully electric cars is the recharge time. Of course, laptops and even PDA's would obviously benefit from this as well. I'm curious to know if they'll have it available--at a reasonable price--for older lappys.

3. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yeh that cool, Id love to have one of those for my laptop

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

hail toshiba

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

60 Seconds...thats insane. Probably take longer than that in reality but still...sweet...

6. Addis

Addis The King

It would be a bonus if they could sustain the high charge rate with larger batteries with higher mAh. Like for RC cars, which i love. I wouldn't care if it took 30 minutes to charge, its better than the 3-4 hours for current ni-mh ones. But li-ion bateries are expensive now, and these won't be cheap. *sigh*

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

thats pretty fast, the future is 60 seconds!

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That's amazing! 1 minute! Talk about living in the future. That's a pretty cool idea Sniper, take it to the patent office before it's too late!

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yeh, will look into it :)