New PC, weird problem

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by dannnyjos, May 20, 2005.

1. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Hey guys. I just bought parts for a new PC, but something very strange is happening. The computer boots when it feels like. Yes, thats right, and I have no idea why. When I press the power button everything spins, but get no video or beep. Then, after 5-10 attempts (cutting off power, reconnecting and powering on again), it finally boots, for a few times anyways. If you hit ctrl+alt+del and restart, it always restarts with no problem, the thing happens only when you power off and then start.
    All the parts are brand new. If you please have any idea what it could be I'll appreciate it, it's really driiving me nuts :smash: .

Here are the specs:

- generic black case with 450 Omega PSU
    - MSI KM4M-V MOBO
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130473
    - AMD 2800 Semptrom
    - 1 Gig Elixir RAM
    - 80 Gig WD SATA Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822135106
    - Lite-on Burner

I bought all parts at a nearby retail store, exept for the MOBO and HD as you can see. Thanks for your time guys.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I'd say it's the power supply. Can you try another power supply on it?
    I've had something similar happen to me.

3. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Ok Ninja, will try that tonight :swt:.

4. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Actually it sounds like you have a loose part, not very loose, probably easy to miss but loose enough that when the part is cold (turned off for a while) it doesn't make sufficient contact to connect but once it's been on for a while and has heated up slightly it then makes contact and works. I would suspect the RAM personally, make sure it's pushed in fully and that the sockets are dust-free. You could also check your PCI cards to make sure there also all the way in. Taking them out and putting them back in again firmly is the simplest way of doing this.

5. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Allright Penguin, will try that as well tonight; Let you guys know how it went tomorrow. Thanks.

6. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Ok guys, I think the problem is solved. I took the MOBO out of the case and put it on a bench connected only to the PSU. On ly RAM and CPU on it. I turned it on and off like 10 times and it was all good. I'm guessing it might have been grounding problems, may be? If it was, then it was totally my fault :stupid: . Anyways, I plan on putting it back on the case tonight. Do you guys have any idea how can I solve those grounding problems? I thought I made sure the MOBO wasn't touching the case. I guess that wasn't enough. Any ideas :rolleyes: ?
    If I manage to make it work inside the case with no problems I might keep the mobo. Newegg wont let me RMA it saying I gotta go straight to me manufacturer, which is a pain. So, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.