New Rig Help

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by NateB, Mar 14, 2009.

1. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

I was wondering if this is a bad thing? ive notice on both board i got from newegg that on the VIA northbridge the gold band coming from the chip has a dark burn like mark on it. ImageShack - Image Hosting :: viacn896northbridge.jpg

Just like this one, it also has the burn mark. Is this bad? does that mean the boards defective? Both boards that i had sent to me have this dark mark on the gold band. So im just kinda thinking its ok or ive got some serious bad luck, also i checked to see if this mark was there before i setup the computer so its not on my falt for it being there on my new board

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hey, if it has a burn mark on it aint a good sign, means its overheatin. Doesn't mean its defective board because it works properly, but if you dont get some chipset cooling goin ASAP it will most likely end up failing.

3. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

I see ok, ive got cooling on it now, it just seemd kinda weird that both motherboards i got have it.

so i think ill never buy another Biostar board, ive never had this kinda problem before, my chaintec board did better then this one

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

good to hear you got some chipset cooling man, what are your temps now have they dropped alot?

BTW: did you figure out what the problem was? was it graphics card or PSU, was your cousins graphics card compatible with your motherboard?

5. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah it has helped alot, i cant get a real reading off of speedfan or anything, but by touch they dont seem to be as hot as they where runing before.

I kinda think its my crapy psu because i changed the cord to it in the back and my video had lines in it on the dash then i changed it back and it stoped

No sadly i still havent gotten anywhere with the gpu, my cousin had a really nice case, but she had a older AMD athlon, with a agp slot

I think im going to buy these

EVGA 256-P2-N761-TR GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
    VANTEC CCB-A1C Ball VGA Cooler Kit

See if anything changes, and if not im going to just buy

ASRock 945GCM-S LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core

And use my ram, gpu, and what ever else i bought on it