Nintendo's Revolutionary Controller, sort of...

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Exfoliate, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

For those of you who thought the PS3 controller was weird this one should really take the cake. Nintendo went for the retro approach on this one apparently and gives us a remote control style game pad for it's next gen console. You may think how the hell is that supposed to work? Read about it at 1up.

"The controller for Nintendo's upcoming Revolution home console system is a cordless remote-control-like device designed to be used with only one hand. Two small sensors placed near the TV and a chip inside the controller track its position and orientation, allowing the player to manipulate the action on screen by physically moving the controller itself. For example, you could slash an in-game sword by actually swinging the controller from side to side, turn a race car just by twisting your wrist, or aim your gun in a shooter by pointing the controller where you want to fire."

"...and two more buttons near the bottom labeled "a" and "b." These last two may seem uncomfortably low for your thumb until you turn the controller 90 degrees and it becomes just like an old 8-bit NES joypad, with the D-pad under your left thumb and "a" and "b" under your right."

2. Addis

Addis The King

Thats a TV remote. I'm sure it is.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Come on, don't be so negative. I'm sure it'll be just as "revolutionary" as the XBox controller. :eek:hah:

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I like it. Its different and Nintendo always seem to make different good.

EDIT: lmao at AT's links

5. Addis

Addis The King

Lol playing Halo on XBOX was a pain. I liked the trigger buttons tho, felt meaty and felt better than just a button.

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah its a cool design, i like different, although the xbox's controllers were big, i got the smaller one :D i liked that one because it fitted my hands perfectally and i just threw the big one into the corner and never used it again...heh
    AT those links were awesome...:D

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah I suppose I was a bit too negative but having the a and b buttons that far back is just weird and inconvenient. The one handed approach is very original for today but I just can't see it lending itself to FPS's really.
    The X-box links were the greatest, penny arcade is always good for a laugh.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah its an awesome design idea but it isnt too functional, its quite basic and i'm sure there would be another controller to buy, a proper controller...

9. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta