"No Audio Device"

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by matttibb, Apr 18, 2006.

1. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

My computer's been fine for a couple of years but yesterday the sound stopped working. I checked the control panel and it said there's no Audio Device and all the volume controls are greyed out.

[​IMG]

Don't know if that helps... Any ideas?

2. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

I've had this problem, and fixed it by doing the following:

From the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

In Control Panel, double-click the System icon.

In the System Properties dialog box, click the Device Manager tab, and then verify View devices by type is selected.

On the Device Manager tab, double-click the Sound, video and game controllers category. Try to determine that all sound devices in this section options are working properly - there should also be an option to download drivers that may solve the problem. Hope this helps.

3. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

I'm not even too sure if my speakers are showing up so that makes me wonder if the computer knows they're plugged in. The light shows up on them when I switch them on but I imagine that's from the power supply, not the computer.

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Which Windows r u using? What did you do before shutting down your computer yesterday, when it was working?

5. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

Ah what an idiot I am. I opened up the pc and it was just the soundcard had come loose somehow! It's working now thankfully :) Cheers for the advice DavidNW and thanks for getting ready to help me, Karanislove.