No boot when CD is in drive. Problem with PSU??

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by jpalfree, May 8, 2007.

1. jpalfree

jpalfree Geek Trainee

Hi,
    This is my first post here, and I must say hardware is not my specialty (yet). I've been having a recurring problem.

My computer has trouble booting. The first time this happened it wouldn't boot at all. I took it to a computer store and they said that there was a power surge and I needed a new motherboard.

Then when I got it home I noticed that I would have to press the power button several times before it would boot. IE: it would look like it was going to boot but then it would shut off. Back to the computer store. I got a replacement mobo on warranty.

Now, I am noticing the same problem. With an added bit of insight: When I try to boot, it will not if there is a cd in the cd drive. The only way I booted to post this is by powering up and quickly pressing eject. AND if I put the cd back in, once it revs up, the computer has a tendency of shutting off again.

Because of this, I suspect that it is the power supply. I'm guessing that somehow, the cdrom drawing voltage from the power supply (to rev up) is somehow overloading the system. (but what do i know :D)

Your theories and recommendations would be much appreciated.

Hardware:
    • mb: MSI K8N Neo4 platinum
    • cpu: AMD athlon64 3000+
    • psu: turbolink atx no: 400U-420PS

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

firstly Welcome to HWF
    i would start by checking the boot order in the BIOS

BTW: i wouldn't think it was the PSU, but to varify what is make and model of PSU?

BTW: i'd also probably reset the CMOS / BIOS[ot]and hope, as always[/ot]

BTW: if you don't know how to reset the BIOS check here

3. jpalfree

jpalfree Geek Trainee

I did try resetting the bios. Same problems.

What would the boot order have to do with it? Right now I have cdrom->HD->floppy. But the computer usually turns off within a couple seconds, much before it attempts to boot.

It's strange, once out of ten times I will be able to use a cd...but the other times. It just shuts off when one is put in.

I thought I gave the make and model of the psu... but maybe I gave the wrong info... I'm new to this :D. What info exactly do you need?

thanks.

4. jpalfree

jpalfree Geek Trainee

no one has any ideas?

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Change your power supply,also check your date and time on the computer.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sorry, my mistake, although i've never heard of the turbolink 400U-420PS (i assume it's cos i'm in UK) however tomshardware.com appears to think their ok here try another known working powerful enough PSU, for your system

Edit: check out B's PSU Sticky for advice on PSUs Here