NV30 to be Revealed at Comdex Fall: Now Confirmed by NVIDIA!

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Oct 4, 2002.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

In early September some of our friends, who are familiar with NVIDIA’s plans told us that the highly-anticipated NV30 graphics processor will be unveiled at Comdex Fall show in Las Vegas late November. Now NVIDIA’s Derek Perez confirmed it at ExtremeTech.

If you read our previous news-issues about the NV30, you probably remember that the VPU features 8 rendering pipelines with 2 TMUs on each one, beyond DirectX 9 shaders support, 256-bit DDR SDRAM memory, AGP 8x and a lot more technical innovations. The core-clock should be between 350 and 400MHz, while the memory frequency will be about 700MHz. Originally NVIDIA wanted to adopt DDR-II look-alike memory for their NV30 based graphics cards, however, since JEDEC still has not approved the appropriate standard, the company has to go with the DDR-I memory. The yield of the NV30 is not going to be very high due to a very complex design and new manufacturing technology, thus, the company may launch a lower-clocked version of their most powerful and feature-rich graphics processor. It does make sense in the current situation, since NVIDIA has to compete with the arch-rival ATI Technologies not only in terms of performance, but also in terms of features and prices. After ATI will roll-out a number of DirectX 9 supporting RADEON 9500-series of products in mid-October for $179 and $219, NVIDIA will not be able to offer a graphics chip with the same features and price. As a result, they will try to play with two versions of the NV30, offering them to different customers.

Mr. Perez said that the company was considering an early-morning press conference. This phrase makes me think that when the sun rises in Las Vegas on November 18, so does the NV30.

I should also remind you that according to the unofficial information, NV30 based graphics cards will be available for sale almost right after the announcement.

Source: x-bit labs