Okay Ive bought my domain name!!!

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by cornwalluk, Nov 30, 2007.

1. cornwalluk

cornwalluk Geek Trainee

Hello Folk's

Ive purchased my new domain name and at the moment im using Freewebs.com to host my site content, but I feel that I want a more professional site, what else do i need to do? what programmes are their out there on the world wide web? i mean now ive got a domain name, do i just need a programme to do the rest or do i need a host to host the site?

thanks in advance

Lawrie M3UHQ

2. Addis

Addis The King

To have full control over your website and have more flexibility, you'll want to buy hosting. Hosting companies allow you to use PHP and databases to make dynamic. E.g. you can use CMS software like drupal, joomla etc to manage your site content. If you stick with your current website, then using hosting will remove any ads placed by freewebs. Matt555 on here uses AS:Hosted and they seem to be good.

btw, I used to live in Newquay, Cornwall and I've been all over the county. Lovely place, moved up north and miss the pasties most of all. :)

3. cornwalluk

cornwalluk Geek Trainee

Hi thanks for the reply are their any free hosting sites that allow upload from Dreamweaver? im using Dreamweaver 8!

Thanks in Advance!

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Dreamweaver is just a code editor, I believe it may have FTP - upload built-in but just because a file was created in Dreamweaver doesn't mean a host won't allow it.

5. cornwalluk

cornwalluk Geek Trainee

Hi

Ive got dreamweaver v8, i with FReewebs.com and I own a domain name.

how do i get my site up and running?
    i think i must need a host?

Thanks Lawrie

6. andersonj21

andersonj21 Guest

freewebs.com is a web host. They help you build your site and then host it for you on their servers. However, they only give you 40MB of space and 500MB of bandwidth for free. For more, you'll need to upgrade to a paid plan. There are other free webhosts like "awardspace" that will give you more free bandwidth and space, but will not help you set the site up as much. If you're planning on using dreamweaver and you already own a domain, then I would opt for something with more bandwidth and space than freewebs if I were you. Just google search "free webhosts".