OOPS bought the wrong PROC!

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by spook, Jan 5, 2014.

1. spook

spook Geek Trainee

just as the tread title says i goofed and bought the wrong processor i bought an
    not an APU( CPU+GPU), just a plain CPU AMD Athlon II X4 651K Black Edition, FM1, Quad Core, 3.0GHz, (AD651KWNGXBOX) instead of

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor (HDZ965FBGMBO) ya i know i wasn't paying attention where i clicked, any who, any one know if any good reasonable FM1 socket motherboards floating around that doesn't need the APU feature, i have my vid card already it's an ATI Radeon HD 3870x2 and another one is on the way, any help would be seriously appreciated i dont like the thought of possible wasting the money for that athlon II if i can't use it

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  4. spook

spook Geek Trainee

the AM3+ gigabyte bored isn't what im looking for, if i was gonna run am2/am2+/am3 or if just stay with the asus motherborard i have now, asnd ghost i spacificly said a motherboard that will work with FM1 socket, yes sniper that is sorta what im looking for just not a microboard im planning ok building a FULL tower

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

6. spook

spook Geek Trainee

im actually looking for a crossfire/sli bored thats compatable with the FM1 socket motherboard, and id love for i to have more then 2 ram slots and im not worried bout coooling the case it's going in (till i get the full tower ) has more then a dozen fans so heating isn't really an issue

im looking at these ones right now
    1). Biostar TA75A+ Socket FM1 4xDDR3 ATX Motherboard (90 bucks).
    2). ASUS F1A75-V EVO (140 bucks)
    3). GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H (90 bucks)
    4). EXTREME6 ASRock A75 (142 bucks)

so my question is for number 4 , has any one ran an asrock board before? and how does it stack up? besides the obvious

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Dude. You Will want to STAY Away from Asrock Motherboards, I have 3 or 4 here and they are made Real Cheap..They seem to pop the capacitors real easy.
    If you buy another board Get either Gigabyte or Asus or even Biostar... I have used All the motherboards that are out there because i build about 3 to 4 computers per Month..
    What kind of Case do you want ? Mid tower or full ? Basic or custom ?

spook likes this.
  8. spook

spook Geek Trainee

no see thats why i was asking ive seen them around but have been hesatent them ( they look like a cheap asus ripoff) and now i know to stay away from them, and FULL custom, im gonna end up starting with an older white/beige ATX full tower, the painting it, windows fans lights and lost of custom touches :) as i do with all the PC's i build :)

9. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Check out these guys for cases, If your motherboard is going just be a ATX and no bigging then you can Probably get a Mid tower...
    http://www.directron.com/cases---case-fans.html

This is where I buy most of my cases for all my Customers..

10. spook

spook Geek Trainee

11. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Let me look around for you, I will post back latter what I find.. I found this one.
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/421949/Full_Tower_Gaming_Case

When it comes to Full towers, The Price is allot higher, I just bought a Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra super tower for my next build.. The Dam thing cost $180.00 bucks..
    I would Suggest a Large Mid Tower, The Price is allot cheaper and You can get some real nice cases for Under $80.00 bucks..

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  12. spook

spook Geek Trainee

my issue is and probably will be alot of other peoples issue, when you buy a case like that thermal take, and pay that much for it id have a real hard time cutting it up modding the hell out of it and then painting it, and here about 6 monthes ago i knew someone who had TONS of beige full towers that he took to the scrap yard, im use to being able to pick that kinda stuff up for nothing or almost nothing

AND! on the subject of the FM1 socket processors and motherboards . . .. . . is there a mother board that supports multiple FM1 CPUs?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  13. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Most Dual CPU Motherboards are for Servers, Mine is a Dual Xeon Intel 3.0 dual core..It is out of a Dell... When I am done, It will have 2- 3.0 dual core cpu's with 64 gigs of ram. I believe they Do make a Dual AMD Motherboard, But I am not sure about FM1 ... I think they are AM3...

14. spook

spook Geek Trainee

theres a dual socket 940 motherboard but i think going back to the 940 is a downgrade

15. spook

spook Geek Trainee

16. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Wow! now thats a real fine... 18 bucks..no way.. better jump on that deal..

17. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

18. spook

spook Geek Trainee

im seriously gonna keep that $20 case in mind, its the top pic so far for price size and internal/external space :)