Overclocker's RAM

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by max12590, Jul 17, 2005.

1. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well, I made the huge mistake of getting cheap RAM, and now I can't OC worth ****. Well the next chance I get I'm buying some good RAM, real good. I looked at this stuff, but the reviews say it's power hungry and unstable up high. Well fortunately I'm not worried about running it at high speed, so that fixes both of those problems. I want the new RAM to allow me to OC a minumum of 400 MHz (from 2.2 GHz to 2.6 GHz). That is an absolute minimum. I'm only going to run the sticks at DDR 400, so that will help. If anyone knows of some RAM that will really let you release the FSB then please tell me. Oh and one more thing, if you have never overclocked a computer, or the one you have is/was not OCed more than 200 MHz, please dont make any suggestions unless you heard it from somehwere viable (not a friend).

P.S. Hey Ex and zRock, here is an opportunity to get some thank's, if you play your cards right :good:

2. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Come on people I could use some advice here.

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I hadn't heard anything good or bad about Gigaram so I kinda stayed away from it. I looked at reviews and it seems like the best OCing yields come from G. Skill. I might go for that if I can find the money.

5. ninja fetus

how far are you looking to push your CPU?

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

what kind of mobo do you have, I don't want to match up some non compatible memory

oh yeah, the wars over, i gave up catching up to exa, since im 15 behind and everytime i get one he gets 3 haha, i waved the white flag, but still, im happy with the respectful number I got :)

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

8. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

im not sure still if it matches your mobo, but I agree with ex on this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211

its pretty cheap i guess for what its worth, and allows more into depth tweaking without going unstable for example too, read the second comment, but does your mobo go up that high on voltages? my thread on memory tweaking might help : )

9. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Alright so I had heard good things about OCZ, and I was looking at that set of G. Skill RAM along with some TCCD from them. If I can find a way to lay out the extra $$$ do you think it would be worth it?

10. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

I think it would be, but thats up to you man, just check with the memory's webpage if its fully compatible

11. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, I will once it comes back online. I think it's down. Would somebody check if they can load abit-usa.com

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah plus OCz has those cool gold heatspreaders that make a big difference as when you tweak and oc they get mightly hot, the G-skill might burn out if you don't shield them.

13. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I'm not too worried about that, I'll buy heatspreaders if I get them.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

But they wont be gold:(

15. ninja fetus

I say get ddr 433. Timings are still tight and you won't be overclocking it much if you try and overclock your CPU by FSB. May even wanna get ddr 466. Overclocking your ram is kinda stupid if you can just avoid it.

16. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea I have to overclock by FSB, 11 is as high as my board will go. But when I OC the FSB I will underclock the RAM. That's why I might buy some DDR 500. I'm not worried at all about timings, especially with G. Skill. If you read the reviews on Newegg people overclock the timings, run the RAM at it's highest speed, and OC their FSB like 30-40 Mhz. So if I underclock the RAM I figure my only limitaion will be heat.

17. ninja fetus

well, heat and processor

18. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, but I feel sure that I will hit the heat barrier before I hit the CPU's limit.

19. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Depends how many Tornado fans you've got in there;)

20. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Hahaha. Well I actually do paln on repalcing my no-name red LED fans with some Antec red LED fans before long. Need a floppy drive first, so I can back-up. Hopefully I can remember to get by Circuit City before it closes.... That only leaves me like a 5-6 hour window.