PC does start, display blank.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by killadroid, Jul 4, 2005.

1. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea sure, anytime. I never have anythign better to do than sit here so I'm glad

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hey glad I could help you out barret! I never actually expected that to help cool.

3. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

Since leaving the BIOS battery out overnight didn't help, I installed new motherboard. Once pc was back in one piece, it started normally, until login screen. Login screen was showed for less than one second and then immediately computer went down and rebooted.

I was able to fix this problem by starting my computer in safe mode, installed new drivers for motherboard (in the system adminstrator account) and rebooted into normal mode. After this everything was fine. (After restart screen resolution is reduced to 800x600, but it can be set back to normal in Display Properties.)

Thanks fellows! I'm now running cool and only 66.25€ spent! :good:

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Great work bud, hey if nothing else you got yourself a kick butt mobo out of it:good:

5. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

Yeah, and another problem occurred when the pc got finally logged in and running.

PSU hangs up sometimes and when it does it tries to re-start but it just keeps coughing. I switched the PSU off and it still kept that sound of sparkling. After pulling the whole power cord off the sound was gone.

I'll try my 300W PSU and see if it works. I guess this 400W PSU fried at the same time when motherboard broke.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That's what I'm thinking, 300wts may be a little shy of what you'd need though. A new 400wt PSU won't break the bank, it's a worthy investment.

7. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

I'm going to buy a new PSU in any case, but I'll just test if the 400W PSU is really broken. 300W PSU can hold the compilation on for a sec I think..

8. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

Ok, it didn't start at all (with 300W).

Is there really difference between AMD and Intel PSUs? Will PSU which is ment and marked for Pentium 4 use work with AMD?

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

There should be as it's mostly just a marketing ploy. Intel's chips usually consume more power for one but if you're in doubt look for one without that sort of marking though it should work fine anyway (you can read the reviews to see if any AMD users had trouble etc.) Generally speaking Thermaltake is one of the more trusted brands so if you're stuck you can see what their selection offers.

10. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, souds like your PSU took your motherboard with it, so I don't recommend you ever plug in that 400 watt again. Anyways, yea Tt, Sparkle, Antec, MGE, they are all good. There are others but I don't know everything.

11. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

Finally it looks like everything is ok. My PSU came back from the seller few days ago, they changed the old DTK to new Nexus 400W. Once it was installed, I put also third casecooler in place.

At first start for long time it didn't recognize my CPU (which was in my friends PC for a couple of days). I rebooted and everything went smoothly, so problem solved!

New motherboard and new PSU -> ~70€ (PSU was in warranty-fixing, I don't know the English match ;) )
    about 2 weeks with older machine -> :mad:

Thank you pals!

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah no problem mate. Glad we could assist and that you sorted everthing out! Good deal on that combo as well:good:

13. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Likewise, I was glad to help you.