Pentium Dual Core e2200 overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Phædrus, May 4, 2009.

1. Phædrus

Phædrus Geek Trainee

Hi, I'm planning to eak out the time before I have to upgrade my CPU by overclocking my current one, and I'd like to know what approximate speeds I could get, and what the equivalent performance would be, compared to new CPUs.

Relevant specs:
    MBD: Asus P5Q Pro
    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core e2200 2.2GHz
    Heatsink: Thermaltake V1 110mm
    PSU: Corsair tx850w

I've heard that the e2200 overclocks very well, but all I've found is some anecdotal evidence where someone said they got it to 3.9GHz. What could I reasonably expect, on the average?

And finally, how would it compare performance-wise with the current line of Intel Core2 Duo processors? I know it's no quad or i7, but I'm hoping to at least be comparable to mid-range Duos.

I know it would probably be better to just upgrade the CPU, but I'm at the end of my budget from upgrading my PSU, mainboard, case, heatsink, and RAM, so a new processor will have to wait for my next tax return. ;) Might as well get the most bang for the buck now.

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

the current bus speed of the cpu is 800mhz, could try to push that to around 1200mhz but start off fairly low and move on from there. try 266x11 = 2.92ghz , so your system bus will be running at 1066mhz. run prime95, if it doesn't pass prime95 up your vcore and run it again. 1066mhz fsb isn't pushin the chip to far because i've been told they are good overclockers.

I wouldn't go beyond 1200mhz system bus. 300x11 = 3.3ghz

if it doesn't post reset cmos.

on average I would expect your cpu to be able to acheive around 3.3 possibly 3.6ghz. you said some guy got his upto 3.9ghz that's just luck of the draw not all cpu's than reach that frequency.

3. Phædrus

Phædrus Geek Trainee

Thanks. I've put my system together and the CPU is overclocked and stable at 3.3GHz (FSB: 300MHz, Vcore: 1.57V). When I go higher than that (FSB: 310MHz) Windows will boot, but will crash within a minute or two, even if I increase the voltage. I'm satisfied with 3.3GHz, though. There's a noticeable improvement in performance.

Thanks for the advice.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

personally i would be cautious when overclocking
    it depend how the CPU is being cooled

i don't overclock & haven't for many years, but back when the 486DX4 100 came out i overclock and killed 1

BTW: i put system in a chest freezer and it worked fine for about 6 months

i also agree with BoBBY but i wouldn't recommend going above about a 1Ghz speed increase with todays CPU's