power supply any good??

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by pinkpig, Jun 14, 2006.

1. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

ok well i cant tell you a make but wat i can tell you is that on the 3.3v its got 30a , +5v 32a , +12v 35a , -12v 0.8a , +5vsb 2.0a is it any good or crap?????????? thx for any help

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The specs are pretty good, but that's only part of the story. What's inside is what counts. If it's heavy, it's a good sign that good parts---and lots of them---were used to build the power supply. If it's a light unit, I doubt it will be able to substantiate the claims the PSU sticker has.

3. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

ok thx mate im goona upgraud later in october to a amd 64 3800 dual core and i wanna know if it will power it and a new motherboard (socket 939)????????

4. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i wouldnt really power that kind of spec if i didnt know the manufacturer. crap companies can say that it has that many amps on the rails but they can just make it up. these psu's can be bought for around 20quid. ur not gonna get performance like its a 100 pound antec or pc p&c out of a 20quid psu. try to find the make or just to be safe, get another psu as u cant risk ur 100pound rig for 60-70 pounds can u.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Exactly. While brand isn't the end-all, be all, giving a manufacturer can give us a better picture. Like we've said, the claimed output of a unit doesn't mean much if the guts aren't up to task. You don't want some cheap unit in there. The power supply is arguably the most critical part in your computer. Get a cheap unit in there, and you could see it fail. If that's not bad enough, poorly made units have a nasty habit of taking other components with it on the way out.

6. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

ive got a eye-t switching power supply model piv-650-2 ????? ill try to find out about it but in the mean time wat can you tell me

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've never heard of Eye-T before, and the little I could find about them seems to have their units being awfully cheap. I can't recommend you use that unit with so little knowledge about it.

8. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

ok so i may go and buy a hiper psu to go with my rig ill look for recomendations and info on them

9. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

10. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Get the Hiper-R 580watt PSU if you really want it, its a good reliable PSU.

Here is the specs for it:
    [​IMG]
    Both 12v rails combined are 38A