problem with power

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by baza, Apr 5, 2006.

1. baza

baza Geek Trainee

Need help, over the last two days my P.C. just keeps turning its-self off after about 20mins. just as if someone had unplugged it, any ideas.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it sound as if your PSU (power supply unit) could be knackered, but also could be an overheating CPU, GPU, but the first thing to try is: check the power managment in the BIOS, post here if you don't know how to do this, it may also be useful to know your O/S (winXP, win2003)

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Just pull out the CMOS battery for about 10seconds and put it back......I am saying this because there might be some changes you have done in BIOS so it will come to default.

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

if you have spare ram, gpu, cpu, mobo etc.. that are compatible with your current hardware, but you proberbly dont have spares of all this, if you do, or can borrow any of those components, go ahead, i ended up building a whole new computer nearly to find out the problem with my old computer, it kept shutting down as if someone pulled plug out, in the end, it was a faulty motherboard, i was baffled by what was wrong with the motherboard, as its looks in tip top condition :s, but also when i tried ot change any setting in bios, my computer was really unstable, or just shut off at exiting bios, and then just reset.

but as donkey said, it could be a bad psu, or some hardware overheating, you should be able to see the temperature of your cpu from in your bios, and using software like speedfan to see the temperature of the cpu, and other hardware from in windows.

what is your full computer specs, eg cpu, ram, power supply, mobo, hard drives, graphics card etc...

either put your comp specs in your signature, or in your MY COMPUTER area located on dark blue nav bar at top of the page, or put your comp specs in both :)

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, a BIOS reset may be just the trick, try that before PSU or checking if something is overheating

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd lean toward the CPU temp first, then the PSU. Do you hear any beeping while the system is running.

7. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

I'm sure that you have already tried this but just on that small chance that this somehow slipped your mind make sure that you have disabled overclocking on your cpu and gpu, or if you suspect that your video card is at fault and your motherboard has integrated graphics you could disable the video card and just run your comp on your integrated graphics.(that is if you have a video card of course) Then if it works then you know its a video card problem.