Problem with WinRar

Discussion in 'General Software' started by rahulkhajuria, Feb 27, 2010.

1. rahulkhajuria

rahulkhajuria Geek Trainee

Whenever I try to compress files & make an Archive of them using WinRar , I am presented with 6 Compression method choices - Store , Fastest , Fast , Normal , Good & Best . Regardless of whichever Option I choose , the file or collection of files is only compressed to 98 or 99% of the original size . :mad: This is as Good as No Compression .!! Could this be because I am not using a legitimately purchased copy of Winrar or is it that I don't know how to use it . (By the way the files I was trying to compress were Photo & Video files ).

I later have to email these files to someone . The problem is that since there is practically no compression , the .rar files attach very quickly to the email , but the email takes a long time to "send" ( a lot many minutes !!) Similarly , it would be taking those same many minutes at the receiver's end to download (because the file size is anywhere between 1 to 20 MB) !! .

What do I do ?

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

It depends on what kind of data you're trying to compress. Some data is already in a compressed format - like JPEG or MPEG. In these cases the RAR files provide a convenient way of grouping these files for upload to a server or sending my e-mail.

You'll get the best compression percentage on text files (txt, doc, html etc. and similar).

I've never heard that the unregistered version would not compress files. This would be announced loudly so that you'd be more inclined to actually buy it.