problems accessing certain websites.

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Willz, Jul 30, 2005.

1. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

well my problem is simple i can connect to the internet and access various sites on both computers (computer 1 connected to my U.S. robotics router and my 2nd computer using a USB adapter totalk to the router also made by U.S. robotics its a starter kit) besides that the only two problems im having with this basic connection is that i cannot login/ sign into web sites such as ebay and yahoo to check mail and accounts yet i can search the sites

when i try to login/sign in it freezes up most of the time and when it works its extremely slow and only lets me see the summary page on ebay and the yahoo users page where you select inbox outbox and junk mail

This also happens when my mom trys to use her Msn messanger to check mail but it only whats in her mail box but doesnt let her open any mail maybe this is a security problem

My second problem is simple my usb adapter is not compatible with linux so to solve this I'll just get a netgear adapter that supports linux and windows ( trust me i tried making a linux driver with driverloader but did not work.

To sum it all up i only have this problem when i connect the computer to the router if i take the ethernet cable and put it back in the computers LAN slot which is then connected directly to the cable/ dsl router i then have no problem access msn yahoo or ebay but i still have the problem of me not having any internet connection.

I ve done several things first i thought maybe it was spy ware or my firewall but neither was the case the problem presisted ive downloaded a newer 128 bit encryption to update my win2000pro's 56 bit and that did nothing. i ve used hijack this and posted my log on varous spyware sites and no sucesss i played with my routers settings numerous of times i just dont understand how such a simple wireless setup can be so trouble some

2. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

now im upgrading to Xp pro since i more filmiar with it i ve used windows 3.1 95 98 and me first time with 2000 pro but appears to be simliar to ME with noticible addition

3. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Is this a wireless router or does it only work through Ethernet cables? Also I'm assuming that the router is also a modem and connects directly to your phone line, am I correct?

It's unlikely but have you verified that this isn't simply a problem with your browser? Try doing the same actions with IE, Firefox and Opera and see if the same thing occurs. Also make sure you've enabled cookies.

What happens when you try to do something else, does it hang or give an error message?

It that one of the two computers mentioned above or a third computer connected to the same router?

There's something there I don't get. Is the modem and the router the same device? Also do you mean that when you connect the computer directly to the ADSL line and remove the router from the equation entirely that it works then? Please take an idiots view and try to be a bit clearer in your terminology. I'm sure you know exactly what your talking about when you say "the ethernet cable" or "the computer" but for someone who can only guess at what setup you have these terms are confusing and ambigious. Please try to explain this more clearly. If I understand you correctly I suspect your problem is a mis-configured router but I can't tell for sure.

4. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

1) yes, this is a wireless router and a wireless USB adapter from U.S. robotics starter kit 5470 the router model number is USR5462 and USB adapter is a USR5422 both are 802.11g products and came in the same package. I have a DSL/cable modem by westell provided by Verizon when my mom order the service originally the modem was connected to my moms computer threw the ethernet cable to the LAN slot on the back of the comp. My current setup is like this My moms comp is plugged into the router's first LAN slot via ethernet the Cable/DSL modem is connected to the router's Wan slot via ethernet cable and the modem is connect to the phone jack in the wall which is consider the gateway i guess.

2)Yes i have Firefox for windows and internet explorer 6 with 128bit encryption and neither let me login into ebay or yahoo when i tried to login under firefox (both fire fox and internet explorer let me get to the page on ebay where you enter your username and password) when it finally loads after like 10-12 mins it says no document found and never displays the following page. The problem with MSN is the MSN messanger that came with my mom VERIZON dsl set up kit as advertised in commercials get dsl and recieve MSN premium free anyway her msn messanger logs on and lets me enter her mail box but does not let me open a message.

3) No, my moms computer is the first computer that i refer to because it is the only computer hooked up to one of four LAN slots on the back of the router there are a total of 2 computers mines which uses the wireless USB adapter and hers which is connected to the router. I can search on ebay and yahoo just can't login. On MSN i just cant check mail it shows this white envelope and says loading for an extended amount of time.

4)That computer is considered comp number 1 which is connect to the router by a ethernet cord which i guess is consider wierd connection so i have half wireless and half wierd

5)The router and Cable/dsl modem are seperate items the router does not have a built in modem

oh im done installing XP pro

5. ThePenguinCometh

Thank you. That was a good description, I've got the full picture now.

You say that the sites work fine when the router is bypassed? Looks pretty likely that you are dealing either with a misconfiguration of the router, a misconfiguration of your computer or a firewall blockage. To check the latter, have a look at your routers settings and if there is a firewall enabled then disable it completely. Also you should have a look at the other settings (I'm assuming that it has a web interface?) and see if there is anything that may be misconfigured or that you don't understand and look into that. Let me know how that goes and we'll take it from there.

6. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Well i disabled the router firewall and the windows firewall and nothing
    first i disabled the routers firewall and tried to access the sites then i thought maybe it was the windows firewall but still no luck

7. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

now theres big trouble i accidently checked the box to disable the DCHP and now the router will not connect causing me not to be able to access the routers settings( i have to inter the routers ip address to get to the settings web page) dammit this is so annoy what kind of setting is that?

8. ThePenguinCometh

Probably all that does is allow you to use a static IP network so that the router can be used on an internal network rather than acting as an Internet gateway.

As for your original question, I'm a bit stumped on that. Were it a Linux box I would say check the logs to see if there is anything unusual going on when it hangs. However I have no idea what kind of logs Windows uses. What I could suggest is to see if the router has some kind of security logs. Also, when you try to access the sites you mentioned and the computer hangs, have a look in the task manager to see what program is taking up all your processors time. It's a long shot as most likely you'll see IE/Firefox but it might be worth a look!

9. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I'm betting on a plugin causing the hangs. Java? Flash? Other?

10. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

well icant try any of that cause i cant get on the internet through the router cause i disabled the DHPC and cant get back into the router settings

11. ThePenguinCometh

Try the reset button!

12. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

no no i said, i fixed it, all i had to do was enable the packet filter on my router, now everyhting works fine.

13. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

tried pusing reset no change i remember reading while in the settings page before this happened that reseting the router does not change your settings looks like im gonna have to do the unthinkable and that would be giving tech support a call

14. ThePenguinCometh

Try assigning your computer an IP address in the same subnet as the routers default IP address (for example if the setting is 192.168.1.1 then set your computer as 192.168.1.2). In theory that should allow you to access to the web interface.

15. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

i got to it just had to hold the rest button for 10 sec insted of pushing it didnt say anything about that in the manual what a shame

16. ThePenguinCometh

Of course, should have know that myself as I also discovered that by accident on a wireless access point!