problems installing EVGA 6800GS?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by wesg, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

2. wesg

wesg Geek Trainee

Thanks Matt

3. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

You changed the graphics card by yourself, which most people find quite scary! you will be fine formatting + reinstalling windows.

theres not alot you can (easly) do wrong!

ps there's a button for thank you :p (@ the bottom of matts post) + and confused, you flag is the union jack.... i thought you where in the US (and your paying shops in dollars :p)

4. wesg

wesg Geek Trainee

Just figured out how to change flag.
    I just got home with the full version of windows xp and am about to install. I'll be sure to give an update. I sure do hope this graphics card is nice, It's cost me around $1000 so far.
    Thanks for all of the help.

5. wesg

wesg Geek Trainee

Well, I got the operating system installed and all of their updates and everything seems to be working fine. I've tried out the new card on Gun and it absolutely blows away that pos x300 that I replaced(it would constantly pause and even turn the ground into the sky, at times- and that was on minimum settings at 800x600).
    I never imagined that I would have to, basically, have a new computer built in order to upgrade the graphics card. It's been a very expensive lesson and one that I never will forget. I'm sure that this doesn't surprise the majority of people on here, but hopefully another newbie can learn from my experience.
    On a positive note, I've learned more about computers in the last week than I had in the last 11 years and am seriously considering building my next system.
    I really appreciate the help!
    Thanks,
    Wes

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

It's what we're here for...pre-built systems (Dell, Sony etc etc) that come from factories often have custom built parts on them to stop people upgrading things themselves and getting people to buy upgrades from the manufacturer (so they make more money)

The 6800GS is a good card and should serve you well.

The PSU upgrade was a good one, generic PSU's aren't very good and it's worthwhile having a branded PSU from a trusted maker to provide clean stable power for expensive/powerhungry components.

7. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I hope you enjoy your new computer! but yeah, the best way to learn about computers is to work on them! in 3/4 years i have gone from COMPLETE windoze newbie, to having a decent understanding of a computer (most of which i have learnt in the time i have bneen on hardwareforums).

I mean, my first post here lol @ me :p Spending time on hwf (hardwareforums) is a good way to learn, look through all the posts and comment/help/suggest whwere you can.... and if you cant, use google to find the anwsers! and post it (this helps whoever needs help, and you learn about it too).

Go pwn some ass with your new graphics card!