PSU Blew up! Please help

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by ninjamafiakhan, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ninjamafiakhan

ninjamafiakhan Geek Trainee

Hi!

I noticed this morning that my PC case was giving a shock whenever I touched it. Then I decided to ground the case and the supply (both are shorted by screws) by a copper wire with one end burried in my garden. When I turned the power on, there was a spark after about 2 seconds in my power supply. I turned the power off. The PSU is definitely down, and I cannot be sure about the other components. Even now when I use a tester to check the grounding, very bright orange light is observed. It had rained heavily the previous night.

My Question is, could there be a problem with the way my PC is assembled (improper insulation etc)? If so, please help me re build the case (links to tutorials etc). Also please guide me about what to do next.

Thanks.

2. 0mega9401

0mega9401 Geek Trainee

wow ive never heard of something like this happening. ok first things first if you were able to touch ur case and feel a charge then chances are that the rest of ur hardware has bit the big one.
    1st take the psu out and look at ever little connection to your hardware make sure everything is nice and snug and in the correct place.
    2nd find someone that will lend u a psu and try it out "shoot for something similar to what u had before" if this doesnt work then your hardware might really be gone :doh: but the good side to this is u get to do a new build:D