PSU fan making a not good sound

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by KennyJC, Nov 23, 2009.

1. KennyJC

KennyJC Geek Trainee

Recently, when I turn my PC on, there is a strange sound coming from the computer that sounds like a fan is struggling or hitting something as it spins. It usually goes away 10 minutes or so after being turned on, and it doesn't even happen every time when turning on.

I looked in the case and the sound seemed to be coming from the PSU. I blew some dust out there, but the sound is continuing.

The fan seems to be spinning at a good rate even when this sound is happening. Should I be worried? Anything else I could do other than replacing the whole PSU?

Thanks.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, it depends on the PSU. First, if it's under warranty, make use of that coverage. It's a fan, but that warranty is there for situations just like that.

If the PSU came with your case, you're better off to junk it. A good PSU isn't some cheap afterthought, and the ones in cases are notorious at being that.

If it's not covered by the above, then I would tinker with it. However, be extremely careful when dealing with a power supply. The charge left in a capacitor is enough to seriously injure or even kill you. Having said that, you can discharge the power supply by grounding the power supply at the AC connection by laying a screwdriver (avoid touching any metal on the PSU or screwdriver with your hands) between the ground and positive or negative prong.

Your fan may simply need a little lubricating oil, which you administer underneath the fan's label.

3. madison

madison Guest

Hello Friend,
    As far as I know the power supply is a common hardware component to cause an excessive amount of noise. This component provides your computer power as well as ventilation to the computer. It is possible for the fan within the power supply to become bad or dirty causing the fan to make an excessive amount of noise.

Thanks,
    James