PSU inadequte?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Tango Down, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Tango Down

Tango Down Geek Trainee

I've had an old computer sitting about for almost a year now after it's motherboard died. Just recently I installed a new motherboard and tried it out. The other Components(CPU, RAM, and Drives) check out fine in other computers. What happens is that my computer turns on for a little less than a second, and then turns off again. It repeats this process every 5 seconds or so as long as my power cord is plugged in, regardless of what I do with the on/off or reset switches. The PSU does not have and on/off switch. The power supply is a 250 watt generic from E-machines. The motherboard is one of the better socket A Biostars, an M7ncd. Along with a gig of samsung PC2100 and an athlon 2600+. I have treid unplugging various components and resetting the CMOS, to no effect. The processor is seated correctly, fan and thermal grease are in place. My first thought was that I had inccorrectly hooked up one of the switches, but they seem to be in the correct places, the jumpers are all in the default positions. No beeps accompany this process, although that means essintially nothing, sense the mobo did not come with one of those small diagnostic speakers.
    __
    -Goodluck, Godspeed.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Welcome to HardareForums Tango_Down :beer:

Try Borrowing a more powerful PSU from one of the other computers :)

3. Tango Down

Tango Down Geek Trainee

Gladly, the only difficulty being that my other computer is about 80 miles away, and the computer I am using at the moment is an old 333MHz with a 100 watt PSU. I contacted the motherboard manufacturer, but you know how that goes. I will hear back from them sometime before the eventual heat-death of the universe....Maybe. The user manual does not suggest a watage, and the 250 worked fine for the old mother-board. Do you think this sounds like a PSU problem, or something else?
    __
    -Goodluck, Godspeed.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

E-machines did (and they may still have) have under powered PSU's, what is the spec of the system your wanting the PSU to power ?[ot]E-machines are v good but you must replace the PSU before you attempt any upgrades[/ot]

5. Tango Down

Tango Down Geek Trainee

2*512 pc2100 samsung ram sticks
    2600+ 2.18 Ghz athlon xp
    m7ncd Biostar ATX main board (Nvidia nforce 2)
    80 GB Maxtor hard drive 7200 RPM
    nvidia geforce 5600 gt
    2 case fans passive cooling on the mobo
    2 optical drives

I would note however, that the thing does not start regardless of how much extra load is in place from the drives and graphics card. (I have tried just starting it with everythin unplugged, and just the RAM and CPU in place.)
    __
    -Goodluck, Godspeed.

6. Tango Down

Tango Down Geek Trainee

On a side note, E-Machines are only very-good if you are in the sub 500$ (U.S.) desktop market. I built my own after the motherboard died with about a year of use.
    __
    -Goodluck, Godspeed.