PSU Monitor

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by m60dude5, Jul 2, 2008.

1. m60dude5

m60dude5 Geek Trainee

Hi guys,
    I am searching for software that can monitor the power supply. I have an Antec 500 watt Basiq. I want this because I am adding a new video card, and I want to see what it does to the power supply, to see if I need to unplug an extra hd or something.
    Thanks for your time,

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While many motherboards come with software to monitor voltages and temps, they are typically not accurate.

There is no software that will monitor your voltages accurately. With my last motherboard and an Enermax PSU, the programs would monitor the +12V at 11.8 something, but when I checked it with a multimeter, I'd get 12.01-12.05V. All the software does is report what your BIOS is reading for the voltages.
    This isn't the problem. The problem lies at the point where the voltages are being read. It's not right when the power comes onto the motherboard, it's after it's run through components, which cause a voltage drop.
    You will not get an accurate reading because it's not being read at the source.

Gigabyte's Odin series of power supplies are the closest thing you'll get as they offer their units with a USB cable that's tied to a voltage monitor on the PSU itself. They bundle their own softare that reads these readings.

Normally, Antec is alright, but the Basiq series is garbage. If your system specs list your current rig, a good 500-600W unit would work well. Unfortunately, the Basiq's aren't quality.