Radeon 9800 Pro review!

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, ATi has let the cat out of the bag. Well, I should say the R350 GPU anyway...Basically, ATi is already with their newest chip before nVidia can put out the GeForceFX which is the main competitor to the 9700 Pro. Well, I should mention that the Tech-Report has a review up of th 9800 Pro card for you to drool over.

Here's a clip:

Maybe it's just me, but this scenario seems like deja vu to me... kinda like what happened to nVidia's main competitor a few years back: 3dfx.

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

why would ati release a graphic card before their competitor when they already have the most powerful one ?

Apart from power ? Is there anything more to it ? Like compatibility with future DX releases or something like that ?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

ATi is just keeping up so as to not get behind. That's what killed 3dfx---well one of the things. It's faster than the 9700 Pro, by how much depends on what its running. If you already have a 9700 Pro, you'd be foolish to jump to the 9800 Pro as the extra performance probably wouldn't be noticable or enough to make it worth shelling out another $400.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

yep I just read the review on hardocp, the image quality is the exact same for both radeons, but better than the FX card.

$400 is quite a lot of money though.
    And even IF you could sell your 9700 pro for $300, would the upgrade worth $100 ?

imo, if ati had waited, people would have still bought the 9700 pro, and then ati could have released something a lot more performant, to drive the 9700 pro owners to buy the very new one. I find it hard to understand that ati currently has 2 cards in the very high-end of the market.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The 9700 prices should drop some is my guess. Also, the 256MB version will be nice. With 128MB and 256MB versions of the 9800 Pro, there will be a price difference.